Help on using nextcloud as backend of a website

Hi all,
I am new to nextcloud and I’d like to have some suggestions on how to address a specific use case I have.
I have a good amout of large files (~500 files of ~250MB each, + ~200 files of 2MB each, organized in folders) that I want to be hosted on a server and managed trough NextCloud.
I will need to create a website (on a different serer) with some general purposes content on the topic and a search function over the file metadata (I will create a DB for this), returning one or more pointers to folders and/or the files. The files do not need to be displayed, they need just to be available for download. There is no need for upload of files through the website (download only)
There are no big security requirements, but I’d prefer to have the files downloaded only by users authenticated on the website (a pointer on how to do the SSO would be great).
I am flexible in what to use for the front-end (but it must be free) and a suggestion on this is my main request of help.

• Nextcloud native GUI. I do not think I will be able to create the websiste I have in mind by using the native interface. If you have example of good website (informative, with 5-6 thematic pages) directly developed in nextcloud, I will be happy to have a look and reasses my decision.
  • Joomla. Easy to use. I have read of users claiming to have integrated it with ownscloud (e.g. as a mounted directory), but I could not find any decent how to.
  • Wordpress. Fine, but the suggested plugin to connect to nextcloud in all the examples I found is not free.
  • Other. I want a quick and easy solution (I am prepared to partly sacrifice the overall quality). If you have any good suggestion, please let me know and I will be very grateful.

Whatever solution you advise, please point me to an example if you know it :slight_smile:

Thank you

Take a look at the PicoCMS app for nextcloud.

Thank you for this suggestion. IT seemed very promising for what I need. I installed PicoCMS fine and can see the example page.
However, I cannot load any image and also the original one seems disappearing after the first loading.
I can see them in the editor, but not in the actual page. The error message is “cannot load image and then the path”.
The images are png (and I also tried with jpg). I have seen around several posts on this problem with Pico, but none of the solutions (very few to be honest) seem working for me.
I know that this message should go in the PICO thread, but posting here as a reply.
Any suggestion/pointer is welcome.

Thank you.

You can use data retrieved via cURL and a public share link to automatically build public download links, but this solution requires writing PHP code and integrate it into the CMS of your choice.

Not sure if this an option for you. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

If all the files are under a shared folder, I think you can work out the URL to access each file by way of the share. The easiest thing would be to just let the link take them over to Nextcloud to download the file from there.

Users can authenticate with LDAP or some other methods and be required to log in to access the share link. That takes care of authentication.

Use this nextcloud app instead, and make custom url:

https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/cfg_share_links

You can do two things to protect it.

1: Add a password to be able to see anything on the link
2: Allow only for authenticated users.

Or you can allow unauthenticated access to anything in the shared folder and folder following that link. Then all you has to do is to embed that custom url in your website.

I found the prob and the solution.
The web editor adds a %25 before assets_url . (You find %25assets_url%25 in teh page that is incorrect). This was causing the error in loading the images and it explains why I could see the example page correctly only the first time (i.e. before opening the file in the editor).
As suggested elsewhere I tried to edit the file locally and then uploading to nexcloud. However, I was checking them by opening with the web editor (no change by me, but clearly modified by the editor as above) and therefore I was still having the problem.
Just uploading the file without ever using the web editor works fine.

Thank you for your support and I hope this thread can help someone else in the community.

2 Likes