[Help] How to import Google contacts in Nextcloud Contacts app

Hi, I’m new to Nextcloud, and I’m trying to import my contacts from Google. I downloaded a file called contacts.vcf. I try to import it in the contacts app (on my desktop), but nothing happens. Is there a smarter way to do this?

Thank you!

I guess that the fields are named differently.
I would do the following:

1. Create a dummy-contact with all details in Nextcloud.
  2. Export contacts from nextcloud
  3. Compare nextcloud-contacts and google-contacs in naming of fields and general syntax
  4. Find&Replace inconsistents in google-contacts
  5. Import modified google contacts in nextcloud
1 Like

Hi,
I was having the same behavior : I have downloaded contacts.vcf from google and tried to import it in the contacts app on my desktop (windows) and nothing happens.

I found how to solve it : :smile:
I have opened the file in notepad++ and converted the end of line from crlf to lf
and finally the import works perfectly in nextcloud contacts app !

Is this problem still existing with contacts 2.0.0?
If so, would you mind opening an issue on https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts/issues?
I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue with the line endings.

Hi,
thanks for the update,
tonight i tried with contacts 2.0.0 and it has worked !
contacts.vcf was imported without changing the end of line : keeping the CRLF from google export
a nice progress bar has appeared and everything was perfectly imported.
Except for a few contacts : "Sabre\DAV\Exception\UnsupportedMediaType: Validation error in vCard: The FN property must appear in the VCARD component exactly 1 time"
I should investigate further my vcf file :slight_smile:

thanks a lot !

1 Like

These are vcards with more than 1 FN property set, which is against the vcard standard we are using. Would you mind opening an issue on github for that? We need to verify the FN property in our importer and repair the vcards in order to be able to successfully import the vcards.
Edit: For now to successfully import them, please adapt the vcards accordingly and remove multiple FN properties to only keep one. Sorry for any inconveniences.

Hi Alexander,
So I have investigated my vcf file :slightly_smiling_face:
I have a lot of contact with no properties but an email, like this :

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
FN:
N:;;;;
EMAIL;TYPE=INTERNET:1234--abcd.mnwj.xyxp.gvba@property.booking.com
END:VCARD

This contacts are not imported in contacts app.
I don’t if it’s a feature or a bug ?

It is both! :slight_smile:
Hopefully soon fixed in https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts/issues/206#issuecomment-337524100

Contacts only support VCard 3.0

I did import ~600 contacts (with pictures) to an Address list on Evolution (email client) then export it (evolution export on v3.0).
And the result was great. 99% of the contacts got imported against 70% when manually changing VERSION:2.1 to 3.0 on the vcf file.

Cheers!

1 Like

vcard export was the only format that worked for me. For shell-bangers, you can use dos2unix command line tool to convert CRLF.

#> dos2unix contacts.vcf