[help] Confusion on Sync using CardDAV

Hi
I’m using the DavDroid app to sync contacts from my phone to my NextCloud installation. There is no sync happening and when I compared directories:
CardDAV is ****.co.uk/remote.php/dav/addressbooks/users/tsop/contacts/
NextCloud is “”"".co.uk/remote.php/dav/addressbooks/users/tsop/contacts/
This looks right to me but there are no contacts syncing? I’m confused. Help please, thanks.

Hello @gucurich maybe there are errors on your davdroid setup.
Can you see your addressbooks in your davdroid account?

That might have solved the problem - what do you mean by davdroid account. I think that bit is missing. I am assuming the process needs to go:
Android phone -> davdroid account -> NextCloud
If that is correct where do I create the account please? Thanks

When you open the davdroid app, there should be your account showing and a lit of your addressboks in it.
There is also a small sync icon you can click to manually trigger a refresh of those addressbooks. Do you see that? :slight_smile:

I opened the davdroid app and added the NextCloud account address and now I see this. Thanks for the help.

Perfect, that means the sync is properly working :slight_smile:
You’re still not seing your contacts?

Not in the nextcloud side of things.

Ah sorry, you cannot see your contacts on nextcloud, correct?
You had contacts on your phone before setting up davdroid, right?

Oh yes. I didn’t explain that properly. Yes I have android contacts and am trying to sync to nextcloud for the first time. Sorry for misleading you.

No problem! This is because your contacts are stored on another addressbook (youandroid local phone, or your gmail account if you used that before.

Here is an article on how to do that: https://www.davdroid.com/faq/existing-contacts-are-not-synced/ :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’ll watch it now. Thanks

That worked perfectly. One final question please. How do I configure the contacts app so it shows phone numbers as we would expect them in the UK please? Thanks

1 Like

You mean the number format?
There is no possibility yet. There is an opened issue on the tracker though https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts/issues/128

If there is nothing else related to this issue, we can close it then :slight_smile:
Don’t hesitate to ask for help in another ticket if you need :wink:

1 Like

Thanks you have been very helpful. Now off to solve importing calendars but I’m going to assume it is something similar and try that out.

1 Like