Help a noob out please -> error while updating

Hi there! Let me start by saying - I don’t speak computer. I bought a new Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, with the main goal of setting up a personal cloud and experimenting with hosting my own website. So, while I was installing Nextcloud (following these instructions to the letter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb0L3cvcFGQ), at the moment where I should’ve entered a login screen on my browser when entering [ip address]/nextcloud, I got an error saying my version wasn’t compatible. I looked up the latest version on here https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/ and ‘installed’ that (if that’s the right word) through puTTY instead.

Then, I entered:
sudo mkdir -p /var/www/html/nextcloud/data
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html/nextcloud
sudo chmod 750 /var/www/html/nextcloud/data

And
sudo systemctl restart apache2

When trying to access the [ip address]/nextcloud website again - it gave me an updating screen saying it would update to 18.0.3. I clicked on ‘update’ - but then it gave me the following error and I am so stuck at the moment :frowning:

Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\DriverException: An exception occurred while executing ‘SELECT “c”.“id” FROM “oc_calendarobjects” “c” LEFT JOIN “oc_calendars” “p” ON “c”.“calendarid” = “p”.“id” WHERE (“p”.“id” IS NULL) AND (“c”.“calendartype” = ?)’ with params [0]: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 no such column: c.calendartype

I’d be very very thankful for your help! I’ve looked through the forum many times, but I can’t seem to find an answer (that I understand - that is).

Are you running Nextcloud or NextCloudPi?

1 Like

Thank you for trying to help Karl! Ehm I think it’s Nextcloud. Because these are the exact steps I followed - and they don’t seem to mention NextcloudPi.

Hi there! I’m still very stuck - and I would like to start my Nextcloud - Pi journey very much. If there’s anyone who can guide me towards a solution I’d appreciate that a lot!

@hakimaknouz

this is a very valid question…

but you can’t know so far that nextcloudpi is just a great tool that would help noobs like me and you setting up their own nextcloud pretty fast with sane settings.

apart from that nextcloudpi (short: ncp) is part of the official nextcloudversum. so you don’t need to be afraid about anything…

you’ll find more infos about ncp at their website www.nextcloudpi.com - they even would help you with the installation (more or less: grab their image-file, write it to your sd-card and then start it up)

good luck.

1 Like

I’m just asking because I haven’t used NextCloudPi and I understand the setup is very different. I can’t offer much guidance with the initial setup. Maybe someone familiar with it can chime in.

1 Like

Aah thanks a lot Jimmy and Karl! I think I will then try to figure out how to remove everything that has to do with my nextcloud from my raspberry pi (I hope I didn’t break anything lol) - and then start over again following the instructions on https://docs.nextcloudpi.com/en/how-to-install-nextcloudpi/.

a last suggestion allowed @hakimaknouz?

if you’d just write the new image onto your sd-card it would automatically wipe everything that was on it before. and set up a fresh instance… so you wouldn’t really break anything since it comes together with a fully installed raspbian, already

which means: just write image onto sd-card, insert sd-card to pi, power on and shoot. (more or less), for details pls refer to the wiki of ncp :wink:
good luck!

1 Like

Thanks again @JimmyKater! Will try out asap and let you know whether it worked :smiley: