Hardware capacity for 15 users

Today, my question is about the hardware capacity, because the system is installed on the HP Proliant ML350 G5 server with 4 GB of DDR2 ECC memory and 2 7200 RPM SATA HDDs.

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.3):
Operating system and version : NethServer release 7.7.1908
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4.25
PHP version : 7.3

So, and what are your questions then?

The memory may run a little tight, but in general Nextcloud alone doesn’t need a lot unless you pile on a lot of extras.

You didn’t mention the CPU, but I would say you’ll want at least a modern quad core.

The storage is probably fine for a small server, but consider adding two more drives and changing to RAID-10 if you need better disk performance.

Beyond that, it’s really just a question of performance, and that depends highly on what sort of load your 15 users put on it.

Correcting, the server settings are:

Manufacturer: HP

Model: ProLiant ML150 G5

CPU Model: 4 x Intel ® Xeon ® CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz

Memoria : 4GB DDR2

I’m sorry and thank you for answering, my question is whether this hardware would support the number of users well, as we are in quarantine and I know that everyone will go to work at home which will greatly increase the use of the system.

So up to now it worked ok?
The problem in general is that the 15 users can use Nextcloud very differently. If everybody works silently on their own document and syncs their folder over the day, that’s enough. If they edit a lot of files together, make many changes, many images where thumbnails are created,… it can be different.

If you have a lot of RAM, the database will be pretty fast (if the caches are set up correctly), if possible I’d try to be able to update this quickly.

To get the most of the available hardware:

• upgrade the RAM to max (16GB in your case)
  • install a SATA SSD
  • install ESXi (5.5 or even 6.0 should work) on an attached USB

Total cost should be about $250.
This way you can run a few server VMs (Nextcloud, OnlyOffice, Jitsi, etc.).
All of them should be installed on the SSD and the 2 HDDs in RAID1 should host users data…