Group-based Folders

Hi everyone,

i was wondering if there is a way to create and manage a folder or multiple folders, based on a groups directory rather than a users directory.

We are thinking about using nextcloud in our RPG ( www.starfleetonline.de ) for a permanent storage and collaboration-plattform for documents and files.

The problem is, that our players and so to say “teamleaders” are switching quite regularly so that a user based directory can become a problem sometimes.
We noticed that a shared folder gets deleted when the user of the original owner gets deleted. Is there a way to prevent this?

I’d like to have something like a “group drive”, where Files and Folders can be placed and stored as long as the group exists, independent of the users that participate.

best regards and thanks

Andy

You can use a generic admin account that shares a folder with a group (not the teamleader themselves).

2 Likes

Indeed as @tflidd says, create a “share” account and share folders from it to the relevant group. I’ve done this with family for many years.

Haven’t thought about a way as easy as that :smiley: Thank you!

The downside in larger installations (with less technical users) is that ppl can unshare the folders and can’t get them back. the new Group Folders app solves that - https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/groupfolders

just FYI :wink:

4 Likes