Fully possible to download shared files. How protect them better?

I have a problem protecting shared files from being downloaded without my consent.
If I share video or audio files, with people outside who does not have any form of account on my Nextcloud instance, then it is important to me that users won’t rip those files.

But when I share MP4 videos, MP3 files or Wav files, these files gets displayed in the browser as the default HTML5 player. All you need to do, is to right click the player surface, and choose “Save audio” or “Sava video” from the dropdown, and abracadabra the files is ripped. So the “Hide download” option in the sharing properties has no effect. Nor does password protection.

Yes, I know it’s not very difficult to rip media files off of web pages, not for anyone who has some experience and some good tools close at hand. But still, most people don’t have that experience or tools near at hand, to rip streaming mediafiles off of webpages. That alone prevents 99% of people from even making an effort to ripping the data.

Presently I got a box.com account, and on Box I can share whatever I want, and there is no way possible to rip the media file - except for recording the actual datastream.

I wonder, is there some way or app or modification that will prevent media files to spawn in the HTML5 media player? Or some way of protecting the files better when sharing them?

As things are now, I won’t be able to share media files (it’s a part of what I do for a living) because stealing them is as easy as stealing an onscreen photo by taking a screenshot.

Thanks for any ideas, tips or suggestions, no matter how wild.

I do not know box.com . Use in browser F12 and i think you find a possibilty to download and rip the file. if you do not want it … do not share the files.

Post a link, i will test it.

1 Like

I am with @devnull here - the problem is an elementary one: In order to display files, they need to be on the computer - be it video, audio, … Unless you rely on a fully-certified chain if commercial software, deploying some sort of digital rights management (like the video player of Netflix or so) you will always have that problem.