Firefox Password Extension detecting new passwords process?

By following a closed issue via github I figured out why the Firefox extension wasn’t saving new logins for me. I didn’t know I was supposed to have Firefox’s native password manager “on.” I disabled it long ago.

Now enabled, the extension seems to be saving passwords. I’ve only tested 2 sites, but it only seems to work on login pages. More specifically, if I am on a sign up page Firefox asks me if I want to save the password, but there’s no notification from the extension. Frustrated, I logged out and then went to the sign in page and the notification showed up from the extension and worked fine.

As I said, I only tested this twice. I’m just curious if other users of the Firefox extension have any tips and tricks to pass along. The Passman extension spoiled me, but development over there is not as stable. So, I’m super glad for all the work @mdw is doing with Passwords. This is not a critic, I’m simply trying to figure out a workflow to use and pass along to my other users on my Nextcloud.

I’m sorry you’re having a bad time with the browser extension.
I know it’s currently a very basic one and i’m working on a better replacement.

The extension tries to detect new logins by scanning the page for forms with password fields.
If no password type input fields are detected or no related username/email/telephone field can be found, it will not be able to detect the form.
Also, the check is executed when the page loads the first time. If login/signup forms are created dynamically and were not present in the html source code when the page was scanned, the extension will be unable to detect these forms.

Passwords will be synchronized when you start you browser or click the refresh button. There is no automatic synchronization right now.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of the process.