File was deleted from server, but still visible on web-ui (also for desktop-client)

I’ve been having the same issue for a few weeks - clients won’t sync, and show one of two messages:

1. File was deleted from the server.
  2. File with name {FileName} could not be located

File shows up in web-ui, but is not there on server or on client computer.

Upgrading/downgrading client does not help the issue.

I’ve cleared a few by editing the db directly (finding id number from web-ui, and deleting), but the list seems to be growing. I am at the point where I am going to do a complete system backup/upgrade to see if that clears the issue.

Could those having similar problems describe their setup?

Mine:
Debian 8.X latest
Apache 2.4.10
PHP 7.0.20-1~dotdeb+8.1
Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.0.30-MariaDB

Maybe we’ll find some common stuff

I’m running the following:

Nextcloud 12
CentOS Linux 7.2.1511
Apache 2.4.6
PHP 7.0.13
MySQL 5.5.52

After deleting all of the non-existent files, the client started to sync again… then stopped later on in the day with a new list of files. I think I’ve come up with the workflow that causes this issue (at least for me):

1. All files are owned by me (admin) and shared to users
  2. User copies a folder containing files into local share
  3. User makes sub folder, and moves files into sub folder
  4. Nextcloud creates new folder and adds files to folder, but doesn’t delete link to original location

This happens constantly during the day, so the daily list of dead files is huge.

As a test, users are now going to create folder outside of Nextcloud share (or copy to folder outside of Nextcloud share), make all changes, and then move to new location - will know next week if this works.

oh and btw, this is on github already… but no response yet: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/4786

1 Like