File size different when uploaded on server by scp or by Nextcloud sync desktop client

Infos :

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 19.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 4.9.210-1~deb8u1
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.34
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3

The issue you are facing:

File size uploaded by Nextcloud is different than uploading directly by scp

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Choose a file on your client, upload it by scp on the server and upload it with the nextcloud sync client
  2. Compare the file size
  3. The file uploaded by scp has the same size than the original file, the file uploaded by nextcloud is 30% bigger

Hi everyone, after a quick search on the forum I didn’t find an issue like this one, so I decided to ask directly

I’ve got a Nextcloud 19.0.1 instance hosted by Infomaniak, and I found that the file size uploaded by the Nextcloud sync client are different from the original file size on the client (30 % bigger size). The same file uploaded on the server by scp does not have the same issue. The file size is checked on the client and server by a “ls -alh”.

Does someone have the same issue ? Any idea how to solve this ? My disk space quota is almost full so I’ve got to understand why Nextcloud takes 30% more disk space than the files on the client !

Thanks for any help and guidance

Regards

Do you use server-side-encryption?
Please download the oversized-file with sftp/scp and opent it. Is it possible?

https://nextcloud.com/blog/encryption-in-nextcloud/

1 Like

Hi @devnull,

You are right, server side encryption is enabled on my Nextcloud.

I found this info in the documentation thanks to your link :

Encrypting files increases their size by roughly 35%, so you must take this into account when you are provisioning storage and setting storage quotas. User’s quotas are based on the unencrypted file size, and not the encrypted file size.

I would suggest that this warning should be included in the warning below the server-side-encryption configuration tickbox which only states :

Server-side encryption makes it possible to encrypt files which are uploaded to this server. This comes with limitations like a performance penalty, so enable this only if needed.

IMO users could bear small performance penalty, but 35% more disk space usage is a huge penalty that most users would not choose if they knew :slight_smile:

Anyway thank you very much for your help which was much appreciated ! :pray: