File Access Control is not Running

Hello,

In Nextcloud Version 11.0.3. When i restricted access file using “Files Access Control” was working fine. But right now I have deployed Nextcloud Version 12 the Files Access Control App is not working. When I do the same configuration with version 11, user still can access the file.

Do you have any solution? Please help me to solving this problem.
Thanks for your sharing and support.

Hi, can you show with screenshots how your file access control rules look like, what tags you probably created (and these tags are still set for the folders/ files). If you can show / visualize the problem otherwise better, please feel free to do so.

I just know that it worked for me with NC 12, So I assume it’s a configuration issue.

Hi Schmu,
here is the screenshot of my configuration File Access control :

My scenario is… User in “Restrict” Group cannot access or upload Zip File.
This is user setting

While I try to access or upload zip file with “Faishal” Account, I still can access or upload.
Please help me with your solution…

Hi,

First of all, I’m on NC version 13.0.1 already. So that’s the biggest difference between our servers.

I ran a lot of tests now and can tell that everything works fine for me.
Here are my file access control rules sets:

And this are my test folders:

The user who is not in the admin group cannot access the “Admin Only” folder. However, he can access the folder “Family Only”. What he can’t do due to my third rule set: upload ZIP files. It says “Access denied” in that case. I can upload all other file types though. There were some bugs in NC12 with File Access Control and some were fixed in slightly older versions like 12.0.1 or 12.0.2. Is updating an option for you?

1 Like

My current version is 12.0.6 and the issue still exist. I worry that something missing during installation. could you please share the complete installation steps from beginning? :smile:

I don’t think we could find out if you missed something during installation nor would we found out what you missed (if so) :slight_smile:
Just let us check if you have any errors in the logs and if the checks of Nextcloud provide some useful information.

Could you please set the log level to debug, open the browser debug console and upload a zip file again. What does the Nextcloud log say and what is the output of the browser debug console.
Additionally, on the admin settings page -> Basic Settings <- are there any warnings?

Hi @Schmu ,
Thank you still help me to find out the problem…
After I check the config, everything is working…here is the screenshot of my basic setting :

But there is one thing I figure out, that is “Group Folder” :

When I created Folder from this menu, the result is the folder is not applied with File Access Control.
Do you have any experience with this menu or feature? My goal is every folder that created with “Group Folder” always applied with “File Access Control”.

Thank you… Need your advice… :pray:

Oh! That’s a very interesting point! I haven’t checked File Access Control with Group Folders actually.
I would love to test that and provide the details from my test, but I don’t know when I will have time for that. It’s possible that I can test that next week first.
Maybe you can do a check the other way round: is File Access Control successfully blocking the upload of ZIP files on your system in normal folders (so not Group Folders)?

If that’s the case we can be pretty sure that File Access Control simply doesn’t work with Group Folders yet and we could contact the developers to integrate that.

Hi Schmu,
Thank you for your understanding and stay tune in this thread…
Below is my comment :

Maybe you can do a check the over way round: is File Access Control successfully blocking the upload of ZIP files on your system in normal folders (so not Group Folders)?

Yes, File Access Control successfully blocking upload or download Zip Files in normal folders, I have tested it many times.

If that’s the case we can be pretty sure that File Access Control simply doesn’t work with Group Folders yet and we could contact the developers to integrate that.

How to contact the developers? Could you help to report this case? :blush: :pray:

Hi @Faishal,

Sorry for the late response. I looked for already existing issues on Github and found one:

So the developers are informed. You could subscribe to that issue and will be notified when this feature will be implemented.