Federation across double-NAT

Due to circumstances beyond my control I am stuck behind double-NAT and have issues getting a VPN up possibly due to a related issue. What I would like to do is setup a second Nextcloud server on an external public IP on my collocation server and federate that with my internal inaccessible server. Is this something that will work or would I be wasting my time trying to get this approach to work?

1 Like

A VPN is not a bad idea to get a bidirectional connection. If you use a share on your public server by the private one should work but not the other way round. But then you should also get VPN working. Could ipv6 be an option for your?

Hello Andrew,

I’m an engineer over at ZeroTier (we offer a free open source P2P VPN service that handles NAT pretty elegantly) and I’m scoping out these forums to determine what sort of free integration/support we’d like to offer to this community and I came across your question in a search. I think our software might be able to help you out if you haven’t already figured out another solution.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’ll be keeping an eye on these forums going forward.

• Joseph

I had been looking at this thread that I found on google in case there was a bit more development. I am very interested in the type of service that Zerotier seems to offer. I have been trying to set it up for a few days but have been lost a little in the docs. I keep however getting errors. I am a very eager tester/user and any direction would be much appreciated