Feature Request: Update message for non Admin users

Hi,

I barely use the Webinterface to login, once everything is configured, but when I do, I use a non Admin user.
It would be nice if we can configure that users should see update informations too.
They should, of course, not be able to install the update, but the message would be nice.

1 Like

I agree with this suggestion. Perhaps the possibility of email notification to admin, too.

If youā€™re an admin, why regularly use a non admin account?

Iā€™m surprised anyone still needs to ask that question today ā€“ years of Windows users, I guess.

Many people have a policy of not using privileges higher than the minimum necessary to achieve purpose.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been on Linux for over a decade now (ah, good olā€™ Dapper Drakeā€¦)

not using privileges higher than the minimum necessary to achieve purpose.

Fair enough. I wasnā€™t asking to question whether what you were doing was a good thing or not, just to find out what your specific use case is. It does still seem odd to me though having partially elevated privileges (viewing of server administration notifications) to an unprivileged user.

Maybe another way of handling this could be to have an email / push notification be sent out to admin users when there is an administration event, so admins know to log in with an admin account just at that time. Then an unprivileged account can be used the rest of the time. Iā€™m not talking about sending the contents of those notifications by the way (potential security risk), but just that there is a notification to be checked.

Iā€™d second the email suggestion.

When you consider this product will be used corporately with potentially hundreds if not thousands of users, can you begin to imagine the support teams getting flooded with calls about an ā€œupdate error on my files areaā€?

Not a great idea

Well, @ANT_Cloud does say ā€œIt would be nice if we can configure that users should see update informations too. [sic]ā€ so it seems that this isnā€™t something that would necessarily affect all users directly, and I would presume, not even be turned on by default.

This does seem though, like yet another call for a feature requiring extra settings to not get in the way of the vast majority of users, and potentially another step towards ā€œconfiguration hellā€. (Something UX people try to avoid, by avoiding potentially unnecessary settings that confuse/distract users from finding or getting done what they actually need).

Sending a notification in some form, to admins when something on the server needs attention though, seems like it would apply to a much larger segment of users while potentially addressing the need behind this usecase.

Adding the option to configure it wonā€™t stop the intern from enabling it though :smile: it doesnā€™t take much to cause mass hysteria at some placesā€¦

Trueā€¦ Very true! On a side note, what would actually happen if someone without admin privileges (or access to the admin page) clicked on an admin notification? o.O

I would rather suggest to create an announcement or security mailinglist. I do this for all software that I need to update manually.

Sorry, I shouldnā€™t have presumed.

Arguably, configuration hell is better than minimalist hell, where the admin is frustrated at every turn (q.v. Gnome3 ā€“ are you still using a Gnome desktop?).

I do, too ā€“ where itā€™s possible. It is becoming increasingly difficult to do, with the rush to ā€˜everything on the web or through social mediaā€™. In this case, Nextcloud is already checking for updates, so why not use it?

There is also the possibility, perhaps more for home users, that Nextcloud has no access to email.[quote=ā€œJasonBayton, post:8, topic:1221ā€]
Adding the option to configure it wonā€™t stop the intern from enabling it though
[/quote]

Shorten the chain on the intern ā€¦[quote=ā€œBugsbane, post:9, topic:1221ā€]
On a side note, what would actually happen if someone without admin privileges (or access to the admin page) clicked on an admin notification? o.O
[/quote]

It hides the notification, if anything at all. Least surprise ā€“ itā€™s a notification.

The very first time I installed Linux, I installed Ubuntu with both Gnome and KDE. KDE recognised I didnā€™t have some codec I needed and told me, where Gnome didnā€™t and so on that extremely limited experience, I used KDE and have ever since (for different reasons). Let the Gnome Vs KDE flamewar commenceā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That said, the 5 minutes that I once tried a Gnome 3 desktop, I rather liked itā€¦ thatā€™s not to say it wouldnā€™t drive me crazy for some reason after 15 minutes though!

Why the Hell are you letting an Intern work as an Admin in you Systems ?

There is no need for this, as there is already a notification service included. The Change Iā€™m requesting is to make this available to a selected group of users

Admin Email Notification from the system would also be good, and maybe even better for me personally :slight_smile:

1 Like

Plenty of places do.

ā€œEat shit, millions of flies canā€™t be wrongā€ ?

What stops that Intern from making everyone Admin ?

Isnā€™t this discussion going elsewhere rather than staying on topic? :wink:

1 Like

Bumping this for awareness :slight_smile:

This is coming with the next major update. Available updates are pushed to the notifications API, which is also read by the desktop sync client.

Together with that an option was added in the admin panel, where you can select which group of users should be notified:

2 Likes

YaY Thanks :slight_smile: