Failed integrity check, invalid hash, user.ini

Nextcloud 16.0.3
Apache version Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)
PHP version 7.2.19-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

(I do not attach any logs because I don’t know how/where to find them.)

First, I sincerely apologize, I realize there are many posts that appear to relate to my topic, but I am such a novice, when I read through them I have ZERO idea of what they are talking about. I really need someone to hand hold me through this.

Nextcloud notified me there is a new version, 16.0.4. So, within the Nextcloud web interface, I clicked on the update message, but I got this incredibly bewildering message:

Technical information

The following list covers which files have failed the integrity check. Please read
the previous linked documentation to learn more about the errors and how to fix
them.

Results

• core
    • INVALID_HASH
      • .user.ini

Raw output

Array
(
[core] => Array
(
[INVALID_HASH] => Array
(
[.user.ini] => Array
(

Despite reading the documentation and many posts in this forum, I still have no idea what this is trying to tell me.

What is “user.ini”?

Where do I find “user.ini”?

How did the “hash” of “user.ini” suddenly become “invalid”? Should I be concerned about that?

How do I make the hash of user.ini become valid again?

How do I ensure that this problem does not happen again?

This documentation at https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/16/admin_manual/issues/code_signing.html unhelpfully says this: “The solution is to upload the correct” user.ini file. Oooookay… I don’t happen to have a user.ini file lying around, where does a person find it? How do I know which one is the “correct” one? And once I find it, I “upload” it… To whom? To where? It doesn’t say which web site I am to upload it to.

I had originally thought that Nextcloud was a solution for the “average guy”, sadly I’m finding that is not the case. Oh well. As you can see, I’m in need of great help with this, I don’t understand 90+% of it.

Anyway, if someone could please help me with this, I would be very grateful.

(P.S.: It also “recommends” that I install something called “imagick”. But… What is it? Is that a wise suggestion? And… HOW do I install it?")

1 Like

I know which one is the “correct” one?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/server/stable16/.user.ini

I “upload” it… To whom?

To your nextcloud root directory

Hi, I have the same issue, but I would like to keep the modifications to .user.ini file.
Is there a way to re-sign the file ? Maybe with “occ integrity:sign-core” command ?
But which private kay and certificate to use ?

Thanks.

1 Like