[Failed] Installation to Nextcloud 23.0.2

I can’t install the new Version of Nextcloud | Exception: Database error when running migration latest for app core Update failed

Hi Takto, and welcome to the forum.

That looks slightly different from the problem I had (see Upgrade from 22.2.3 to 23.0.0 fails (DB issue?))

Which database do you use: MySQL?

Sorry I don’t really have a knowledge about Databases.
But at the install I did:
sudo apt install mariadb-server -y | to install the Database-Server
sudo mysql -u root -p | to connect to the Database

grant all on . to root@localhost identified by ‘privacy’ with grant option;
CREATE DATABASE nextcloud;
CREATE USER ‘nextclouduser’@‘localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘privacy’;
GRANT ALL ON nextcloud.* TO ‘nextclouduser’@‘localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘privacy’ WITH GRANT OPTION;
flush privileges;

*privacy isn’t my password

I have now seen your Post as well. You said you aren’t in a hurry to update. How did you close the updater? I now can’t connect to my cloud because it always redirects to this page:

How did you close the updater?

I can’t remember, TBH (sorry).

When the update failed I restored from backup; I have nightlies that capture:

• the data directory (nextcloud data folder)
  • the install directory (nextcloud “code” folder)
  • the nextcloud database

(…)

As I said in my post, that’s the first time I’ve ever had a problem with the updater - it’s always been rock solid for me (kudos to the Nextcloud team :+1: ).

…But maybe that’s lulled me into a false sense of security(?); the number of failure modes with this kind of thing is pretty large, after all.

FWIW, my general update plan from now on will be:

1. Wait at least a week after the initial release; check the forum for other peoples’ experiences
  2. Check my nightly backups
  3. Put Nextcloud into Maintenance Mode, and while it’s there:
    • snapshot the relevant Logical Volumes
    • dump out the database
  4. then run the updater

So if I ever have a problem again, I can restore the database and revert (more or less) instantaneously in file system terms.

(I’ve been thinking about a more systematic testing process for the apps I use, too).

[…] mariadb-server

Thank you. I was curious because I use Postgres; maybe that accounts for the slightly different failure/error(?)

EDIT: The updater is now offering me 22.2.5 (I’m on 22.2.3). I’m keen to try 23.x - it sounds really good :slight_smile: - …but I’m in no rush, as I say; I’ll upgrade to 22.2.5 this weekend, as a stopgap measure.

You seem like a pretty knowledgeable guy in therms of databases. If posted on this topic over on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/NextCloud/comments/surhzo/updating_to_nextcloud_2302_failed/
They suggest that I should do innodb_read_only_compressed=OFF to my database. I’ve tried it in many different ways.

In the database itself:

• SET GLOBAL innodb_read_only_compressed=OFF;

In some file in the directory:
sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf
innodb_read_only_compressed=OFF

Either way my it doesn’t work. Do you know how I could implement this only compressed off thing? And should I even do it?

Hi Takto.

Interesting; I haven’t heard that…

But I use Postgres; innodb is for MySQL and Maria (…and possibly other DBs I don’t know anything about).

FWIW I attempted to update this morning. But that deserves a separate post, because it’s complicated (short version: manual upgrade to 22.2.5 worked “with issues”; subsequent upgrade to 23.0.2 worked better).