External Storage not indexing some folders with longer filenames, adding DASR to filename and cannot open

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 2022.2.6
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx 1.19.4
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
I have connected external storage (cifs/smb shares on a centos, ZFS filer). They use the user’s login credentials to authenticate. Several shares were set up in January and seem to work fine. We had an external share named Projects previously - it was removed and we created a new external share named Projects pointing to a different filer. The new share connects, but getting lots of strange issues. Some folders that contain 100+ subfolders show many of the subfolders as files and append “DASR” to the foldername. Clicking on them Nextcloud treats them like a file instead of a folder.

Is it possible to ‘clean up’ the shares/cache/etc to clear this up?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. Add CIFS/SMB share
  2. Log into Nextcloud as user and browse the share

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Error	text	OCP\AppFramework\Db\DoesNotExistException: Document doesn't exist		2022-03-28T16:32:41-0500
Warning	no app in context	OCP\Files\StorageAuthException: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Warning	no app in context	External storage not available: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Error	no app in context	Icewind\SMB\Exception\ConnectException: Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Warning	no app in context	OCP\Files\StorageAuthException: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Warning	no app in context	External storage not available: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Error	no app in context	Icewind\SMB\Exception\ConnectException: Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Warning	no app in context	OCP\Files\StorageAuthException: Storage unauthorized. Connection not valid		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Warning	no app in context	External storage not available: Storage unauthorized. Connection not valid		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Error	no app in context	Icewind\SMB\Exception\ConnectionException: Connection not valid		2022-03-28T16:27:45-0500
Warning	no app in context	OCP\Files\StorageAuthException: Storage unauthorized. Connection not valid		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Warning	no app in context	External storage not available: Storage unauthorized. Connection not valid		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Error	no app in context	Icewind\SMB\Exception\ConnectionException: Connection not valid		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Warning	no app in context	OCP\Files\StorageAuthException: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Warning	no app in context	External storage not available: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Error	no app in context	Icewind\SMB\Exception\ConnectException: Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Warning	no app in context	OCP\Files\StorageAuthException: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Warning	no app in context	External storage not available: Storage unauthorized. Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500
Error	no app in context	Icewind\SMB\Exception\ConnectException: Unknown error (lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated)		2022-03-28T16:27:44-0500```

The output of your config.php file in `/path/to/nextcloud` (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in `/var/log/____`:

PASTE HERE

1 Like

Here is how the folders appear in Nextcloud:
DASR example

I have been scouring the forums looking for similar issues, but can’t find anything that helps. I have made several tweaks but no changes.

I would like to try removing the external storage, clean up the db’s to remove file cache/any reference to that share, then reconnect it. But I cannot find info on how to clean up the DB - Any ideas? Thanks.

Checking in one last time before creating a new Nextcloud instance and testing that.

Tried a new install and getting the same results.
I wonder if the external file server is timing out before the nextcloud scan completes, or otherwise blocking the file scan?

Anyone have an idea?

If not, can you suggest options for getting paid support to figure this out? Someone with knowledge of nextcloud connecting to external Samba/Cifs shares on a ZFS box.

Thanks.

Have I been shadow banned? :thinking:
Seriously, I would appreciate any assistance.
The issue has remained constant across different user accounts, using different credentials to access the share, and on 2 nextcloud servers.
The external file server has several shares, but only one is showing this issue. It doesn’t seem to be an auth or credential issue as nextcloud shows all the folders and the folders have similar permissions between them.
I would like to dig into the results of the scan for the folders in question, but I have not been able to figure that out. That should give some details on what the error is. The logs in the web gui haven’t helped me, but might help someone with more nextcloud knowledge.
Thanks.

Could it be a samba compatibility issue between the nextcloud and ZFS server?

Progress in identifying the symptoms: Shortening the filename fixes the issue.

But many of the other folders that appear correctly have longer filenames. So it must be something deeper than just the length.

All the folders have the same format: 5 digit number, space, dash, space, text with spaces between words.
12123 - Folder Name is Here
23234-1 Folder Name is Here - more words

If I shorten the filename to 29 characters or less, then it works perfectly. As I said above, the strange thing is other folder names are much longer, but work fine.

Any ideas besides shortening the folder names? Thanks.

I saw some people in the past had trouble with the 260 character file length limit. I checked several folders, and the folders with the issue were under the limit. Other folders without the issue were both under and over the 260 limit. Very strange.

I reached out to nextcloud directly to see about paid support but haven’t received a reply.
I looked on upwork, but could not find anyone with Nextcloud cred.

I think we are really close to finding the answer. If we could scan one of the problem folders and see the results that should point us to the solution. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Nextcloud has sent contact info on a partner - contacting them now.

Update: The partner they suggested is no longer a partner but they looked at it but it was beyond their skills. I asked for another suggestion from Nextcloud but have not received a reply.

My storage server/linux guru looked at it and he was intrigued (he loves finding and fixing bugs). He could not see anything on the file server side to differentiate between the working and non working folders. He suggested opening a bug report on Nextcloud, so I did that and waiting to see what happens there.

Another clue: DASR appears to come from the folder attributes:

But it is only a clue. In a couple of folders only the ‘r’ tagged subfolders have the issue, but in other folders all the subfolders have the same attributes (all have the ‘r’ attribute) but only some subfolders experience the issue.

Thanks.

Now I am leaning toward the folder template we are using. We have a Project Folder Template that contains a hierarchy of subfolders, about 22 top level and 208 total folders. Something like:

Projects

-------etc
    -and so on

We use robocopy to copy and rename the template folders to the new project name and location.

The 29 character folder name problem seems to have started in 2016 and has continued until now. Folders created in 2015 an earlier do not have the issue. Nextcloud is the only place the issue appears. The folders appear normal on linux and windows file explorers and cli’s.

I will start analyzing the 2015 to 2016 folders and see if I can isolate the issue.

Issue is resolved with a workaround:
The Template folder has a Windows file named desktop.ini that makes the top level folder show a different icon instead of the normal folder icon in file explorer. If a project changes status we delete the desktop.ini file to visually show the status of the project:
icons

Something happened to the file in 2016 that Nextcloud does not like. Although the file is identical to the prior year files the 2016 and later folders have the 29 character folder name issue in Nextcloud.

I can ‘reset’ the folder by copying an older version of the desktop.ini file (as far as I can tell, the files are identical) into the folder (I can then leave it or delete it as needed) and the folder displays properly in Nextcloud.

The contents of the desktop.ini folder are:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=21

I wrote a script to copy an older version of the desktop.ini file to all the folders and templates, then deleting it if it did not exist (previously had been deleted) and bam, the folders appear normally in Nextcloud. I can also create new folders with the updated file and they work properly also.

Thanks.