External Harddrive

Hi, im a Linux noob trying to setup Nextcloudpi on my Raspberry Pi 3 with an external hard drive with the purpose to have a file-share for my collegues and me.

I etched the immage to the SD-card (128MB).
I’ve come to the point that i can log in to NCP and i have created users, etc.

However, i cannot add the external hard drive. When i try using the wizard it says (when trying to automount) ERROR: counted 0 devices. Please, only plug in the USB drive you want to format.

Here’s what i see using lsblk:
pi@nextcloudpi:~ $ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk0 179:0 0 119.3G 0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 256M 0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 119G 0 part /

I have a 1TB hard drive connected via a powered USB-hub.

I appreciate any help.

I think it is a 128 GB SD card.
I think you do only need a SD card with 8 (!!!) GB for the NextcloudPi-system.
But it is ok.

The problem is that your linux (pi@nextcloudpi) can not find the USB drive.
It does not work. Perhaps too less energy?
For performance and less enegy perhaps use a 1 TB SSD hdd.

Thanks devnull. The card dont seem to be the problem, everything works just fine. It’s just getting the hard drive to show up that is the problem.
I tried another power source just to be sure since the source i used is pretty old and im not sure of the Ampere it brings. But it makes no difference. lsblk looks the same.

You can also test

sudo -s
fdisk -l

But i think it also not works.

Test the hdd and the cable. Perhaps on another linux system. Test another hdd on the Pi, …
Connect the hdd again and boot again the Pi, …

Thanks, but it does not work either.
I have tested the drive and it works fine on other systems.
I tried to mount a usb-stick on the raspberry but with the same result.

BR
Henrik

I feel stupid but want to share this since it might save a day or so for someone else. Make sure you are using the cables that come with the USB-hub. In my case it was a dedicated cable for connecting to the computer where you want to add usb-ports. I didnt think of this but just plugged in all cables in the row of open ports. So, thats the fancy solution.

1 Like