Excel prompts that file has been changed by another user (lost milliseconds)

I’m in the habit of pressing Ctrl-S to save Excel files but Excel 365 nearly always throws up this prompt. Nobody else is working on the file although it is in a group folder. I don’t get the same with Word. Any ideas? It’s rather annoying…

https://i.imgur.com/oRfcOb8.png

I select “Overwrite changes”. I can then press Ctrl-S to my hearts content - the prompt doesn’t occur unless I come back to the document (say) 5 minutes later and save it again.

Windows 11 Pro and pretty recent (like month) version of Nextcloud with latest client.

2 Likes

Maybe even stranger…
I have the same issue with Excel of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 on Windows 11 Home.
The Excel files are in a folder which is synchronised by NextCloud to my Raspberry Pi.
My latoptop is the only one synchronizing this folder so the files are not shared with anyone.
My Laptop used to be Windows 10 and did not have this issue until I upgraded Windows from Windows 10 to Windows 11.
Office and everything else was not upgraded.
So it is just me changing in Excel 2016 in a not shared NextCloud folder and the issue is there since the upgrade of Windows 10 to 11.
Maybe it is a Windows 11 thing.

It could well be - only seems to effect Excel. Word is fine.

I can confirm this also happens on Windows 10 and I believe has been a problem for a couple of months (or so). I am also using a group folder and this is a file that only I will be changing. Are you using a group folder @JackV ?

Yes, we’re using Group Folders too.

My setup is very simpel.

NextCloud on a RaspberryPi, Excel file in My Documents so I am the only one with access to it and not always, but most of the times I get the message and I choose for overwrite.

BlueMail voor Android downloaden
Op 5 apr. 2023, om 13:14, bbceg via Nextcloud community <noreply@nextcloud.com> schreef:

Whilst this is a multi-user Nextcloud instance, nobody else will be editing the file. I also use OneDrive (another client) and Seafile (personal) - don’t get the same problem there. I wonder if it’s something to do with the temporary lock file that Excel creates:

Xvr5Hop1

Thanks, that would appear to rule out Group Folders being part of the problem.

1 Like

Perhaps but they’re not new and are apparently ignored according to that screenshot (which makes sense because you wouldn’t want them syncing). A useful test would be to pause (or perhaps exit) the sync client and confirm that the problem goes away. If so we can probably raise a bug report on Github against the sync client repo.

It looks like a similar ticket has been raised here but is perhaps too specific (e.g. I’m using the virtual file system).

I’ll try the test and confirm.

As expected, pausing the sync client removes the problem. After resuming sync, waiting a few minutes (not worked out the exact time frame) and saving the excel file, the prompt reappears once more.

For completely different reasons, I’ve rebuilt my PC over the past few days. Will see if the problem crops up again.

Hi.

Did anyone come to a conclusion yet why this happens? We are affected by the as well.

Regards

Rob

Sadly not, should probably raise a bug report. Somebody remind me how to do that? It doesn’t occur with all Excel documents but it is darn annoying. This only effects Nextcloud. I regularly use Seafile, OneDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive. Never seen it with them.

I am almost afraid to mention this but for me the issue seems to be gone. Already for some time now. In the meantime I always upgraded the client and upgraded my server when there was a new version. Maybe they fixed it ? My client is at the latest and my server is 27.0.0 and I see 27.0.1 is available now.
So I ran the upgrade and after that some indexes were missing so I ran:
sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ db:add-missing-indices
and will let you know if the issue comes back.

Hmm, true I’ve not seen it for a while on client 3.9.0. My client’s server is still on 26.0.3.

Spoke too soon - just had it again.

I’ve started getting this with Notepad++ as well but here is a bit of key information. Notepad++ has a handy feature whereby it prompts you if the timestamp of an open file has changed - very handy when you’re monitoring an updating log file.

This is what I’ve just observed. I saved the file and immediately got the ticks count:

(Get-Item "E:\Data\Moorfield Nextcloud\IT support\Software\SolidWorks 2\Install Solidworks.txt").LastWriteTime.Ticks

Kept running the same command over and over again for a minute or so and the ticks value changed

(Get-Item "E:\Data\Moorfield Nextcloud\IT support\Software\SolidWorks 2\Install Solidworks.txt").LastWriteTime.Ticks

Note how the last seven digits get zeroed. This is repeatable. Save the file again and get 638269319508677205 ticks. Wait a minute or so and it changed to 638269319500000000.

So I’m going to make a guess that those last 7 digits are a very small time change. Bit suspicious that it’s zeroing last last 7 digits as ticks represents one hundred nanoseconds or one ten-millionth of a second.

Got it!! When the file is saved, it’s got a milliseconds component:

DateTime : 06 August 2023 15:26:58
Date : 06/08/2023 00:00:00
Day : 6
DayOfWeek : Sunday
DayOfYear : 218
Hour : 15
Kind : Local
Millisecond : 838
Minute : 26
Month : 8
Second : 58
Ticks : 638269324188384328
TimeOfDay : 15:26:58.8384328
Year : 2023

After a short while, the timestamp gets re-written without milliseconds:

DateTime : 06 August 2023 15:26:58
Date : 06/08/2023 00:00:00
Day : 6
DayOfWeek : Sunday
DayOfYear : 218
Hour : 15
Kind : Local
Millisecond : 0
Minute : 26
Month : 8
Second : 58
Ticks : 638269324180000000
TimeOfDay : 15:26:58
Year : 2023

This IMO is a bug? I wonder if it’s a problem between different timestamp mechanisms on Windows and Linux?

Sort of - from my reply above I’ve determined what happeneds but not why. When you save the file to the Windows file system, it has a milliseconds component. When the file synchronises with Nextcloud, the milliseconds is lost/zeroed - hence the reason apps (like Excel and Notepad++) think somebody else has changed the file. In effect, something has - Nextcloud has changed the timestamp.

A clear fault IMO.

Hi.

Thanks - I will file a bug with NC desktop team thorugh Enterprise channels.

REgards

Rob

1 Like