Event not visible in attendees calendar after it was confirmed

Approximately one month ago we migrated our family cloud from Owncloud to Nextcloud. I assumed the calendar app would work pretty much the same way but as we started to have several misunderstandings and forgotten appointments, I started to have a closer look on it. In the following Iā€™d like to describe a typical use-case which causes trouble in Nextcloud:

Test Scenario

Chris and Linda are both NextCloud users and share their Calendars in read-only mode. Both of them sync their NextCloud calendars with their IOS device using CalDAV. All calendar operations described in the following are done with the IOS internal Calendar App.

Letā€™s assume both will have a busy day on 2018-12-03 and are invited to a birthday dinner for Bob at 18:00 CEST. As Bob is no NextCloud user and also does not share his Calendar, Chris and Linda received separate Outlook invitation mails and added the .ICS files to their calendars.

Steps leading to disputes between Linda and Chris

1. Linda creates an appointment ā€˜Meet with Cathyā€™ at at 2018-12-03 15:30-16:00
  2. Linda creates an appointment ā€˜Buy birthday presentā€™ at 2018-12-03 16:00-17:00
  3. Linda adds Chris as attendee for ā€˜Buy birthday presentā€™
  4. Chris receives an invitation mail for ā€˜Buy birthday presentā€™
  5. Chris opens the event.ics file in the mail
    -> there is no button to add the appointment to his calendar
  6. Chris clicks the ā€˜Acceptā€™ button displayed in the HTML mail body
    -> A notification is displayed saying that his participation status has been updated
  7. Linda sees in her appointment ā€˜Buy birthday presentā€™ that Chris confirmed
  8. Chris can see Linda calendar in his IOS device
    -> if he clicks on the ā€˜Buy birthday presentā€™ event he can see that he is invited
    in the regular calendar view there is no difference to ā€˜Meet with Cathyā€™ though
    where he is not invited

ā€¦ some days later

1. Chris is asked by a customer for a time slot to have a telephone conference
  2. Chris quickly checks his own IOS calendar for free slots
  3. Chris agrees to have the call at 2018-12-03 16:00-17:00 as he has no appointments thereā€¦

Expected behavior:

• Appointments I am invited to should show up in the own calendar regardless if the meeting organizer did share his calendar with me or not
  • An ā€˜Acceptā€™ button should not only update the appointment of the organizer to ā€˜attendee confirmedā€™ but also add the event to the calendar of the attendee
  • Finally Iā€™d expect that NextCloud detected that Chris is also a NextCloud user and would show the appointment immediately in his calendar as tentative.

So far my user story - what would be good to know: did Chris or Linda (and me of course :blush:) just not use the application correct, is this a configuration issue, a bug or should I create a feature request?

If this is an intended behavior, how would we use the calendar app correctly?

Thanks for your feedback!

Kind regards,
Michael

Hi mito173, you could fix this?

Regards

Hi Eric,

no not really:

• if I use the ā€˜Acceptā€™ link/button in the invitation mail, the participant status in the appointment of the sender is updated but it does not show up in the recipients calendar
  • if I open the attached file ā€˜event.icsā€™ and click ā€˜addā€™, the appointment is added to the recipients calendar but the participant status in the appointment on sender side is not updated.

Setup when verifying this just now:

• Server NextCloud 16.0.3
  • Calendar App 1.7.1
  • Sender: Apple Calendar App on IOS 12.4.1
  • Recipient: Apple Calendar App on IOS 13.0

Hint:
When creating the appointment on senders side, the participant got grey ā€˜OKā€™ checkbox after and the name resolved after adding his mail address in the participants window. So I believe that it was detected as an internal user.

Regards,
Michael

Just created Issue 1505 for the NextCloud Calendar app on GitHub now.

Ok Mito173, let me read in git.

My problem is the same, I put this post: Accepting invitation from email not working

If I have some fix, I will contact you.

Regards

Hi mito173

I havenā€™t made progress, you?