ERROR while initializing the database : Failling installation of Nextcloud 25.0.2.3 with Postgres 15.1

Hi everyone,
I have a bug during the installation process of my Nextcloud instance (using a postgres database as backend, both being managed through kubernetes).
Both container start without problems and seems to be configured to “talk” with each other, but for some reason, the nextcloud instance has trouble using de postgres backend. I had several bug and this is the last bug I encountered (and restarting/recreating the containers don’t change anything).

Here’s the log from Nextcloud

Initializing nextcloud 25.0.2.3 ...
New nextcloud instance
Installing with PostgreSQL database
Starting nextcloud installation
Error while trying to initialise the database: An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[42P01]: Undefined table: 7 ERROR:  relation "oc_appconfig" does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT * FROM "oc_appconfig"
                      ^
Trace: #0 /var/www/html/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/src/Connection.php(1780): Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\API\PostgreSQL\ExceptionConverter->convert(Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDO\Exception), Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Query))
#1 /var/www/html/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/src/Connection.php(1719): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->handleDriverException(Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDO\Exception), Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Query))
#2 /var/www/html/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/src/Connection.php(1067): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->convertExceptionDuringQuery(Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDO\Exception), 'SELECT * FROM "...', Array, Array)
#3 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/Connection.php(261): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->executeQuery('SELECT * FROM "...', Array, Array, NULL)
#4 /var/www/html/3rdparty/doctrine/dbal/src/Query/QueryBuilder.php(345): OC\DB\Connection->executeQuery('SELECT * FROM "...', Array, Array)
#5 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/QueryBuilder/QueryBuilder.php(281): Doctrine\DBAL\Query\QueryBuilder->execute()
#6 /var/www/html/lib/private/AppConfig.php(415): OC\DB\QueryBuilder\QueryBuilder->execute()
#7 /var/www/html/lib/private/AppConfig.php(222): OC\AppConfig->loadConfigValues()
#8 /var/www/html/lib/private/AllConfig.php(217): OC\AppConfig->getValue('core', 'vendor', '')
#9 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(118): OC\AllConfig->getAppValue('core', 'vendor', '')
#10 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(182): OC\DB\MigrationService->createMigrationTable()
#11 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(255): OC\DB\MigrationService->getMigratedVersions()
#12 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(433): OC\DB\MigrationService->getMigrationsToExecute('latest')
#13 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(408): OC\DB\MigrationService->migrateSchemaOnly('latest')
#14 /var/www/html/lib/private/Setup/AbstractDatabase.php(153): OC\DB\MigrationService->migrate('latest', true)
#15 /var/www/html/lib/private/Setup.php(371): OC\Setup\AbstractDatabase->runMigrations()
#16 /var/www/html/core/Command/Maintenance/Install.php(105): OC\Setup->install(Array)
#17 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Command/Command.php(255): OC\Core\Command\Maintenance\Install->execute(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#18 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(1009): Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#19 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(273): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand(Object(OC\Core\Command\Maintenance\Install), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#20 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(149): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#21 /var/www/html/lib/private/Console/Application.php(213): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#22 /var/www/html/console.php(100): OC\Console\Application->run()
#23 /var/www/html/occ(11): require_once('/var/www/html/c...')
#24 {main}

Here’s the log from Postgres :

2023-01-13 10:39:32.208 UTC [135] ERROR:  relation "oc_appconfig" does not exist at character 15
2023-01-13 10:39:32.208 UTC [135] STATEMENT:  SELECT * FROM "oc_appconfig"

This seems to indicate me that nextcloud and postgres are configured correctly.

And this is what I’ve done with the Postgres to prepare it for the nextcloud :

CREATE USER nextcloud;
ALTER USER nextcloud PASSWORD '<nextcloud_password>';
CREATE DATABASE nextcloud_db;
ALTER DATABASE nextcloud_db OWNER TO nextcloud;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE nextcloud_db TO nextcloud;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA public TO nextcloud;

Do I need to upload my manifest files to give more info?

Thanks for your help ! :smiley:

Sorry i can not really help you. But i found this issue for you. Maybe you must only delete config.php and reinstall. But the solving ist not the solving of the issue starter.

Also i found this issue but it is ore for migration of database owner.

Hi!

It didn’t seem to work.

I entered the container, deleted the file and then ran ./occ -vvv maintenance:install while looking at the logs of the nextcloud container and postgres and nothing was visible in the logs.

I took a look at the nextcloud_db, and saw only one empty table (oc_migrations), creating a user didn’t seems to change anything to the database too, so I don’t really know if this fixed the bug.

This need further testing from my part, I’ll keep you posted on this ! (trying to restart the instance, removing from outside the container, etc)

Thanks for your answer!

I got the same error during installation process using a postgres database as backend.

The error I got:

Error while trying to initialise the database: An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[42P01]: Undefined table: 7 ERROR: relation “oc_appconfig” does not exist LINE 1: SELECT * FROM “oc_appconfig” ^

Did you solve it?

Hi !

I think I managed to solve it, but unfortunately I don’t remember how and I can’t log on my server right now to check what did the trick, however, I think I remember reading about using a dedicated database for nextcloud (as a superuser in the database) or trying to create manually every table needed by nextcloud.

You can try one (or both) of these solution while waiting for me to be able to log in and check the solution.

I’ll post an update as soon as possible!

So, lucky for us, I managed to find some messages I exchanged with a friend about this issue, and I seem to have fixed it by creating manually the tables.

This seems to be a “bug” in the nextcloud installation/init process that there is no check if the table exists and creating it if it doesn’t.

Maybe this is fixed in newer version or nextcloud, if it isn’t if someone knows their way around nextcloud source code it shouldn’t be hard to implement.

I might create a issue for that.

Good luck!

Oh I somehow managed to get rid of this now. I actually had testdb in postgresql earlier for my previous nextcloud. I dropped the database but didn’t drop the user. I only created testdb again and gave ownership to testadmin.

Now I dropped database again and also dropped the user. Created user and database from scratch. I have removed config.php under nextcloud config directory. Reload apache and provide the newly created db user/pass in the nextcloud web. Now it works.

I am using nextcloud 27.0.1 version and postgresql 12.

Wow, this shouldn’t be this hard ! :sweat_smile:

I’ll try to create an issue on github referencing this post and those discussion.