Error 502 BAD GATEWAY accessing Nextcloud with Squid Proxy

Good morning,

in my setup I have a Nextcloud Hub 8 (29.0.0) server in the internal LAN installed on ubuntu 23.04. The clients, win 10-11 surf the internet through a Squid Proxy server and the Nextcloud server is NOT published outside the LAN.

All clients have version 3.13.0 of Nextcloud desktop client installed

The problem is that on some clients it is not possible to reach the nextcloud server with the 502 BAD GATEWAY error returned by the proxy and the client Desktop App disconnects. The problem does not appear on all clients on the network but in random mode, and when it occurs, the client automatically connects and disconnects several times in an unspecified and always different space of time.

I tried to understand but I couldn’t find a solution.

PS: if the win 10-11 client accesses the network without a proxy… everything works.

What should I check?

Who can help me ?

Thank you all and have a good life.

Nicolò

The problem is that on some clients it is not possible to reach the nextcloud server with the 502 BAD GATEWAY error returned by the proxy and the client Desktop App disconnects.

Can you check your Nextcloud web server access and error logs during this time period? Any correlations you can make?

Also, not sure if you’re using FPM or not: if so, those logs might be relevant.

PS: if the win 10-11 client accesses the network without a proxy… everything works.

How certain are you of this? I ask because you mentioned the behavior seems random so it might be hard to fully do a comparison test w/o the proxy I guess.

I had a simular problem since upgrade to 29.0.1 - I disabled the music plugin, after that everything works again…

Do you have a rate limit that is triggered because all requests come from the same IP (because of the Squid proxy)?