Email notification when folders or files are edited

Nextcloud version 20.0.2
Operating system and version All
Apache or nginx version All
PHP version All

Hi all,

Thank you to all the contributors for all these new features but I would like to talk about one in particular which is very disabling for all users of the company where I working it’s the Email notification
They would like by any means that an email notification be sent to all users with whom they share a folder or file when a change is made to it.

Indeed, there are dozens of little use features on nextcoud but I find this one really very important and it’s a shame that none of the current functions like comments, notes, Circles app or even automatically users are not informed of the modification of a content.

Thank you in advance for your help.

1 Like

Hi there,
have you tried the email notification settings? The users can favorite the file and enable notification when a change is made to that file.

See:

Hi @LWT

thank you for your return but this notification work only for Nextcloud users and not for other users with whom I share this file

you mean you share files by public link or directly by e-mail for user which has no nextcloud account?

Directly by email for user wich no NC account. For the first share all this users receipt an email and then impossible to ensure that it is notified when there is a change. I already have 4 users from my company with this request that I cannot honor.

okay got it, but why you not adding them to the nextcloud as real user? especially if its a company? for me it feels like you should change the process here.

on the other hand you can add a feature request to github but i guess it is not so easy to be done and also will have a low prio as this e-mails need then a configuration page to disable/enable notifitcations which is not easy to implement without a login.

Maybe you could use the guest app as alternative?

Indeed it can be an alternative for an administrator like me. But for a simple user ? I have one of my users shares a folder with more than 50 external mail accounts: you think it can also autonomously manage external users and make them groups in Nextcloud? I do not think so :frowning:

as I got to know you’re a french sysadmin. And you’re working with NC. Great. I see that you made your company use NC. Even better.
So now… pls take the fair use policy into consideration which asks professional users to buy professional support from NC GmbH. In the end NC will benefit from it since NC is paying a good amount of devs working on the code. For the benefit for everyone.

Thanks for your understanding

I have since changed society, I use it on a personal basis now dear contributor.

Otherwise I see that my message this morning did not leave you indifferent! It’s pretty positive and know that it’s never too late to change :slightly_smiling_face:

Have a great day

I take it with a citation from the book of books "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye. " Matthew 7: 3-5

Good idea! see an ophthalmologist :smile: :wink:

Hi @LWT

how/where did you get that entry “a favorite file or folder has been changed”

on my side I’m not able to see that first option see my topic.
Is there any settings to do, to get this options ?

thanks for your help !