Dyndns server app for nextcloud?

Hi,

does anybody know whether a app exists that can be used as a storage for dynamic IP addresses? I am running a separate php script for it at the moment, but thought it might be convenient to have it right away in nextcloud.
Thanks in advance for any info.

1 Like

What exactly do you mean, an app that updates your dynamic ip address at the dyndns-provider?

Hi tflidd,

More like an app that acts as the dyndns provider. An app that communicates with my router (fritzbox) at home and as soon my internet provider is changing my IP address, this change will communicated with the app. To have a permanent connection for an VPN tunnel for example.

I do not find at the moment the script that I have in use, but that one here is doing the same. https://github.com/nicokaiser/Dyndns

Hello MeCias,

I’m an engineer over at ZeroTier and I’ve been looking through these forums specifically for questions like yours. We have an open source minimal P2P VPN service which can issue your device a static IP and possibly save you some time.

For your case in particular if you installed our client on your nextcloud server and on your remote mobile device or desktop device you could assign a static IP for your server (even if your ISP only offers a dynamic IP). For instance, you can assign 10.147.9.9, and any device you own which joins your VPN can access your server at that address anywhere in the world. There’s a lot of networking black magic going on but basically we will automatically handle the dynamic IP changes and present a stable IP for you.

If you have any questions about how this works, I’d be happy to explain further. We’re going to be keeping an eye on these forums going forward.

fritzbox has an dyndns service, kind of.
this is german, but since you are using a fritzbox… :wink:

http://www.meintechblog.de/2012/02/myfritz-dyndns-alternative-fuer-die-fritzbox/

Thanks a lot.

I am using two set ups right now (test-wise), one via php script and another one by the fritzbox service. Both ways working quite well, I just prefer at the moment the php script, because the information that get stored and transferred are in my hand. My thoughts were that it would be quite convenient to handle the dyndns requests in my own safe environment via a nextcloud plug-in.