Expected behaviour

I was expecting not to create two group folders with the same name

Actual behaviour

Set Update Permissions

General server configuration

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04.

Web server: nginx

Database: postgres

PHP version: PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (cli) (built: Oct 28 2019 12:07:07) ( NTS )

PHP-modules loaded

Nextcloud configuration

Nextcloud version: 17.0.0

Updated from an older Nextcloud/ownCloud or fresh install: Fresh install

Where did you install Nextcloud from:

Are you using external storage, if yes which one: no

Are you using encryption: no

Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: no

Signing statusEnabled appsDisabled apps

Nextcloud configuration:

<?php $CONFIG = array ( 'passwordsalt' => '****', 'secret' => '*****', 'trusted_domains' => array ( 1 => 'boxname', 2 => 'somename.somedomain.com', ), 'datadirectory' => '/opt/data', 'tempdirectory' => '/opt/data/upload-temp', 'dbtype' => 'pgsql', 'version' => '17.0.0.9', 'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://somename.somedomain.com', 'dbname' => 'nextcloud', 'dbhost' => 'localhost', 'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_', 'dbuser' => 'someuser', 'dbpassword' => '*****', 'installed' => true, 'instanceid' => 'ocbh6xoav4ik', 'maintenance' => false, 'default_language' => 'de', 'default_locale' => 'de_DE', 'session_lifetime' => 300, 'remember_login_cookie_lifetime' => 0, 'session_keepalive' => false, 'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp', 'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp', 'mail_from_address' => 'austausch', 'mail_domain' => 'hisolutions.com', 'mail_smtpdebug' => true, 'mail_smtphost' => 'mail.somedomain.com', 'mail_smtpport' => '25', 'enable_previews' => false, 'overwriteprotocol' => 'https', 'trashbin_retention_obligation' => 'auto, 30', 'loglevel' => 3, 'logdateformat' => 'F d, Y H:i:s', 'logfilemode' => 0640, 'log_type' => 'file', 'logfile' => '/var/log//nextcloud/nextcloud.log',

Please check and consider to install the Issue template app to provide a more complete list of technical details.

Please be aware:

1. The version 17.0.0 is not the current and the version 17.0 tree cannot be called stable.
  2. The Group folder app has to be the most current version.
  3. Look around the forum as this issue was discussed already, I presume.

AFAIK the issue of duplicated file names was identified by the NC devs and should be solved already. However, my expectations may be too high and my poor old brain’s memory abilities too low.

Oh – I am sorry.
:sweat_smile:

Please accept my apologies for the quick and dirty reply. Only if I may find the time to more thoroughly investigate my a.m. assumptions in the future I would provide some more reliable info, unfortunately.
:books:

However, please consider to provide more technical details as this would help in investigations and could leed to some helping hands in this forum, I presume.
:lab_coat:

Happ hacking.
:sunflower:

Well, I’ve crawled the whole NC and could not find any solution yet for the duplicate entry

ehh sorry, but where is the issue temp? and how to add it;-)

The issue template app does not work with Nextcloud 17.

Good point. However, did you make a complaint in this forum and/or produced an issue at GitHub to get some awareness and NC 17 solution, hopefully?
:nerd_face:

However:

Please consider to get involved and one could be more active if the time allows. This is a FOSS project, I presume.
:lab_coat:

Happy hacking.

Hello

I’ve mentioned this already at github

thx so much

Haydar

1 Like

Sorry for Off-Topic: Still a few features missing but a good start.

I would probably follow https://github.com/nextcloud/groupfolders/issues/18

yeah, I just check and commented that, but the issue still exists, it’s sad, it is such a good app, but with two folder names having the same name is near useless.

Rgds

Haydar

1 Like

Fully agree.

The bug was re-opened apparently:

https://github.com/nextcloud/groupfolders/issues/18#issuecomment-557578153

There always is hope…

Happy hacking.

Ohh, I see, so NC should not add this feature in the app store, since it will damage its reputation. double names are in a file systems should not be tolerated. since it is confusing and misleading.

I would just say handle with care :wink:

IMHO an appropriate technical solution could be to either:

• move the original folder into the new group folder or just renaming it or
  • make the group folder using the name and original folder

What do you think?

Happy hacking.

Hello and thanks,

here is my process description of group folders.

I don’t want to have the users create their own folders. So I keep their contingent at 0 Bytes.
This works perfect. So they are only able to see the folders, which are shared over the group folders app. So no personal folders.

1. I create a user group, let’s say customername.projectname
  2. I add a project user to the newly created group
  3. I go to group folders settings in the admin panel.
  4. I create a new folder like customername.projectname and add the newly created group.
  5. Now the issue is, that I’m able to create the same foldername again an again again …

So this is really misleading. The System should tell me, that the folder with the same name already exists upon creation, not more. Like in Unix or Windows. This is a basic requirement, which does not meet in group folders.

Frankly I could not understand your technical solution exactly, could please explain it in detail.

Many thanks

Haydar

see below

1 Like

Please find a virtual gesture of my sympathy as a :heart: to your a.m. response included.
:smile:

However, I would like to present my personal disclaimer to help avoiding misunderstandings:

This is the home user forum and although you may ask freely and virtually anything, it may depend what you get answered for free. Any enterprise should ref. to Nextcloud GmbH as there shall be professional support available:

1. Customers and Partners (mainly) closed portal — https://portal.nextcloud.com/
  2. An Enterprise Subscription from Nextcloud is available with email and phone support.

NOTE: Please be aware I am not affiliated with Nextcloud GmbH and my views are the free views as both a volunteer and a EU citizen and appear in a private capacity solely.

:safety_vest: :innocent:

Please consider to open an issue by your own in the nextcloud/groupfolders GitHub Issues list accordingly, I presume.

For the time being my only answer to your reasonable request could be: Good luck.
:four_leaf_clover:

Happy hacking.