Do I need to be concered?

With the latest windows VM using deSEC with LetsEncrypt I keep getting these e-mails:

Subject:

Cron root@domainname /var/scripts/letsencryptrenew.sh

Body:
###################################

cc @enoch85

Anybody know? Iā€™d hate for the certificate to expire if this is supposed to be a warning of some kind.

I donā€™t understand the question as itā€™s to little information. Sorry.

Are you getting an email which looks like that just because you enabled deSEC? Impossible since deSEC isnā€™t setup to send emails at all - script wise.

To be honest, Iā€™m not sure why Iā€™m getting these e-mails. I donā€™t know if they are a warning or no problem. I checked my deSEC account to see if my server is ā€œtouchingā€ the account, and itā€™s been over a month.

1. I donā€™t know what or why these e-mails are being sent (What I posted is the exact e-mail I get (with the exception of the domain name).

2. I donā€™t know how the system is supposed to reach out and touch the my deSEC account or LetsEncypt. Perhaps the system only reaches out when there is an IP change?

3. I did not received these e-mails using the older VM. I believe with the same setup options. (E-Mail Notification Enabled)

Thanks for all your help.

Just check in the browser the details of your certificate. If configured properly, they should be renewed automatically once their expiration date is less than 30 days.

For such security-related stuff, itā€™s nice to have mails but some just are fake. So itā€™s better you check that by yourself independently (not by clicking any links etc.).

You shouldnā€™t worry. Certificates are updated automatically in the background.

It would still be interesting to know what triggers them thoughā€¦ I donā€™t recognize it, and Iā€™m the founder of the VM. I know it inside out so to speak. :slight_smile:

Maybe itā€™s a new thing in the Certbot Snap? I run it myself though and Iā€™ve never seen such an email before.

Ok, thanks guys. Iā€™ll just ignore the e-mails, as I donā€™t know enough to figure out the ā€œwhyā€™sā€, and to shut them offā€¦ :grin:

The only thing similar I found was this:

But it shouldnā€™t trigger an email.

That has to be it. That hash string is Exactly what is being sent in the body.

The following PR should fix it in the future.

1 Like

Awesome, Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting!