Differences between docker and bare metal

I’ve been following NCP and its development. The 2nd batch Helios4 is about to ship and i’ll get mine, so i’ll be setting up my home cloud soon. I’m wondering about the (functional) differences between the docker version and the “bare metal” install. All i could find is the docker one (naturally) doesn’t run wifi. In particular i’m interested in these elements that NCP seems to have spend good effort on :

• security
  • SBC optimisations
  • BTRFS snapshots / syncing (provided the underlying filesystem is formatted as such).

I’m also wondering about the performance hit of docker. Especially since i’m already planning to use LUKS disk encryption, as i understand an impact that grows with the amount of disks used.
Related -but subjective- one of the benefits of docker is easy service migration, is that relevant seeing one could simply run the NCP install script on a different device (and import the backup) ?

Many thanks

Welcome @Koen84,

As for deploying, both Docker and the NCP curl installer, make installing NCP relativily simple. That was the whole point; make it easier to install.

There is wiki page on how to back-up and restore.

As for docker, it’s possible to have Docker use a mountpoint for ncdata, more reading on backup and restore strategies here

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Last blogpost says docker is still trying to be brought up to par with bare metal ? And i honestly don’t have any expertise of docker. Hence my questions if it is -or even can be- equal.

As for backup, i had read that overview and i’m convinced that dataless backup + btrfs snapshots / sync is the way to go. Just not sure (yet) if the btrfs route is possible within docker client (for sure i could setup on the host itself).