Desktop OpenGL failure with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 2.6.5-20200713.144448.adada8b2e-1.0~xenial1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Not the Server
PHP version (eg, 7.4): Not the server

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): I have had this issue, completely disabling NextCloud on this machine, for two or three weeks.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Go to command prompt.
  2. Type “nextcloud”
  3. See:
    QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
    2021-07-03 19:39:48:607 [ debug default ] [ unknown ]: Error creating openGL context
  4. An empty window labeled “Nextcloud Connection Wizard” opens. Nothing ever displays in that window.
  5. My only option at this point is to close the window and type “Ctrl-C.”

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging: Since the Desktop Client never starts, ( at least visibly ) I can not provide the log.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

The issue has nothing to do with the server, since other desktop clients have no problems. Browser-based access is also not affected on this machine.

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____: This issue does not occur on the server.

Hi @bdmc

Unfortunately, I don’t have a solution for your specific problem, but I would like to mention two things…

1. The standard LTS support of Ubuntu 16.04 ended in April 2021. If you don’t have an extended support contract with Canonical, you should consider upgrading to 18.04 at least.

2. If you use the Nextcloud client from the PPA, it is possible that certain dependencies are missing or too old on your system…

https://launchpad.net/~nextcloud-devs/+archive/ubuntu/client

NOTE for Xenial users: because Xenial contains some outdated libraries, such as Qt5.5 and libssl 1.0, which are no longer fully supported by the Nextcloud client, the Xenial build in this repository is on a strictly best-effort basis only. It means that some functionality may not work properly or at all. It is also possible that Xenial support in this PPA will be discontinued altogether at some point in the future.

…maybe you could try the AppImage instead:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have been resisting upgrading this machine because of the issues when 18.04 was first released, but that was several years ago!

I must make enough free space and do the upgrade, so that I can use NextCloud again.

This is the NextCloud client from the repository, not from the PPA.

Time to “bite the bullet!”

Thanks again.

Hi @bb77 ,

Well, I was successful installing the AppImage, and it started despite showing the same error. However, once it logged in to the Server, it said: “Danger Will Robinson!” My last upgrade of the server took it to a version 15 installation, and it doesn’t seem to want to go beyond that.

So, I will continue to leave this machine broken, and work on upgrading the Server.

I think that what I will do is do a “clean” install ( rename the root directory and do a fresh install of the current version of NC ) and then move the data back into the directory tree.

Once I’ve done that, I can work on this machine ( the client ) and upgrade it, both OS and NC Client.

Thank you for the help,
Brian

You’re welcome. If you run into any problem, I would recommend starting a new thread… Good luck.