Desktop client forever "waiting to start syncing"

My desktop client is stuck forever “waiting to start syncing”, what might be the problem?

My server was a 19.0.1 and is now a 19.0.2 docker container, my database is a Postgres docker container (built from the official images).

When I quit the client and restart it, the Nextcloud log does not contain any new entries, but the client keeps “preparing for sync”. When I modify a file locally, the state switches to “waiting to start syncing” again.

My client runs on KDE neon.

www-data@f914adedc341:~/html$ ./occ status
- installed: true
- version: 19.0.2.2
- versionstring: 19.0.2
- edition:
$ nextcloud -v
Nextcloud version 3.0.1-20200828.171413.0a62628f8-1.0~focal1
Using Qt 5.14.2, built against Qt 5.12.8
Using Qt platform plugin 'xcb'
Using 'OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020'
Running on KDE neon User Edition 5.19, x86_64
Operating System: KDE neon 5.19
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.73.0
Qt Version: 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.7.0-050700-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel¼ Coreℱ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 23,4 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa IntelÂź UHD Graphics 620
1 Like

Have the same Problem here wit Client 3.0.1 on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

1 Like

I skimmed through the issue on github.

Do I understand it correctly that so far there is no solution? Or did I miss something?

A (the) workaround is to disable the end-to-end encryption (E2EE) app in the Nextcloud Server instance.

A fix has been merged and released with desktop client version 3.0.3:

But from the ongoing discussion of this pull request I take it that the issue has not been definitively resolved.

Anyways, if you don’t absolutely need E2EE, just disable the app and you’re fine.

2 Likes

not for me, I have 3.0.3 on macOS and had to disable E2EE on the server running NC19.0.4 Stable

How did this issue not already be patched before getting into Stable?

I do not use E2EE and I updated client to 3.0.3 Windows 10 OS. Server is 20.0.2 and my clients on all PCs are stuck in waiting to sync. Issue still not resolved.

In my case, deactivating E2EE did help. Windows 10, NCDesktop 3.0.3, Server 20.0.2.
Are we looking at one single issue or are there two issues with the same symptoms (involving/not involving E2EE)?
Anything I can do to help pinpointing?

Made sort of same experience with W10 sync client V3.0 months ago. Changing something within sync folders -e.g. adding a file or updating a current one- did the magic in my case

Same issue here.

Nextcloud 20.0.4
Nexcloud windows 10 client 3.1.1
End-to-End Encription app 1.6.2

Disabling the app and restarting the client application worked. The client stopped waiting and started the syncronization.

The patch for this issue went into the 3.1 branch of the client. On the original bug report there are reports that the problem still exists. So it’s not fully fixed. Please continue the discussion regarding this problems directly on github with the developers.

This is still an issue. I’m not using e2ee. The desktop keeps going back to “waiting to start syncing.” This is the most basic of functionality. I don’t understand why new features are being developed, when core functions are unreliable.

3 Likes

I have the same issue. I’m on Windows 10 with Client 3.1.3 and it never uploads anything it keeps staying in “Waiting
”

Getting the exact same thing as Zero.
Brand new Nextcloud installation (in a Truenas jail) running only locally (for now), Windows 10 Pro/Client 3.1.3.
Its just stuck at Waiting 
 trying to upload files.

I can upload files using the http interface “fine” (speed varies from 1 MB to 50 MB randomly, but it does get uploaded)

Same issue here, no end to end encryption. I second LanceHaverkamp, this is literally the most basic function a cloud storage software has, to keep selected folders synced. If there is an actual error or an issue that is understandable, but I don’t have visibility to an error if there is one.

1 Like

Hello

Same issue here, after updating Nextcloud to the latest version, the Nextcloud client for Windows stops synchronizing if the computer is off for several days, it stays in the “reconciling changes” or “waiting”.

I use the latest version of Windows, Nextcloud and the desktop client; I request to correct it because I can’t delete the account to add it again every week.

I have never used the encryption module

Seems like the issue still exists. I’m on server version 23.0 and 3.4.0 on the linux client without E2EE. A restart helps for a few minutes, but the problem seems to come back after a random time (between some minutes and a half hour so far)

Same problem here with server 23.0 and client 3.4.0 :confused:

Same here. Server 23.0.0 and client 3.4.0.
Some months ago I never had any problem like this
 it should be good to know if it’s because of the client version, so if neccessary we make a downgrade

Related to this, is there any way to, using console, list which files are syncing or are unsynced? (I’m not talking about ignored files): I use KDE dolphin, and files appear:

• If synced, with a green icon
  • If syncying or unsynced with a red icon or without coloured icon. I refer to these two.