Demo instances of 9-14 now live

Thanks for pointing me to the demo server. compared to the thing I have running, it seems blazingly fast, the web-interface seems much more responsive. can you tell me, how it is hosted, so I can understand what the technical differences are compared to my (webhosters) system?

It’s a VPS with 4Ghz of dedicated CPU and 4GB RAM. It hosts 4 Nextcloud installations in managed containers (5x Apache, PHP and Redis with a shared DB).

Excluding the shared DB (and soon, shared Redis) they are all installed following my guide to the letter.

It’s overkill for a modest single installation for which 2Ghz and 2GB ram would likely be enough.

Hm, the performance difference is likely shared hosting? At my hoster, a managed server seems awful expensive (starting around 100 euro / month) whilst my shared hosting of course is much cheaper around 20 euro / month. Or is it possible the difference in performance comes from a lack of php.ini configurations and caching?

Caching makes a lot of difference. I usually get my VPS through OVH as they’re cheap and cheerful.

I’m trying out a demo instance here but as soon as I switched on encryption, I can no longer upload files. It is also impoossible to switch encryption off. What to do?

That’s not my demo cluster, so I can’t offer much help as we won’t have backend access to it.

btw: couldn’t we make this topic sticky… or at least the announcement that there ARE said (and most valued) demo-instances?

Your wish is my command :wink:

1 Like

@JasonBayton

my dear old boy, so sorry to let you know that i just broke your nc12 -demo. tried to do an update to 12.0.3. and it went smoothly until the webupdater stalled at this point “oauth2: Failed to enable app oauth2”

sorry to cause you more work now :frowning:

Hey it’s fine - still works. I’ll sort it later :slight_smile:

Nextcloud 13 beta has been added to the list of servers!

Nextcloud 13 beta

4 Likes

Jason

Just wanted to say this is great work setting NextCloud up in LXD. I wanted to let you know that I put a link to this on the LXD sub-reddit so others could find it.

Thanks again for your effort.

Brian

Thanks Brian! LXD lends itself nicely to this type of usecase :slight_smile:

Nice Idea. I have also setup an Demo Cloud for testing for users in an Telegram group for nextcloud.

Welcome to link to this one also - though it fully resets every hour :slight_smile:

Okay. I must write an script to cleanup the data and user every hour

12 posts were split to a new topic: E2E encryption app not in app store?

Edit, nevermind!

Demo 13 has been updated to RC1 and Talk is enabled by default.

2 Likes