Demo instances of 9-14 now live

@JasonBayton Are you the new Demo dev at Nextcloud? :wink:

What I do pales in comparison to the official NC demo setup, but I’m more than happy to offer mine for all major versions if they’re useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

So NC 12 is popular :smiley:

@JasonBayton Great Job!

1 Like

Looking for Nextcloud 12 LXD image for eval if anyone can point me to one. Thanks.

I’ve not spun one up yet. It’s on my list (and I’ll ping the LXD topic when it’s ready):

Demo servers 10, 11 and 12 have been upgraded to the latest release.

Custom themes will be applied soon to add a login message on the servers; the amount of failed login attempts I see per day is unreal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to the demo server. compared to the thing I have running, it seems blazingly fast, the web-interface seems much more responsive. can you tell me, how it is hosted, so I can understand what the technical differences are compared to my (webhosters) system?

It’s a VPS with 4Ghz of dedicated CPU and 4GB RAM. It hosts 4 Nextcloud installations in managed containers (5x Apache, PHP and Redis with a shared DB).

Excluding the shared DB (and soon, shared Redis) they are all installed following my guide to the letter.

It’s overkill for a modest single installation for which 2Ghz and 2GB ram would likely be enough.

Hm, the performance difference is likely shared hosting? At my hoster, a managed server seems awful expensive (starting around 100 euro / month) whilst my shared hosting of course is much cheaper around 20 euro / month. Or is it possible the difference in performance comes from a lack of php.ini configurations and caching?

Caching makes a lot of difference. I usually get my VPS through OVH as they’re cheap and cheerful.

I’m trying out a demo instance here but as soon as I switched on encryption, I can no longer upload files. It is also impoossible to switch encryption off. What to do?

That’s not my demo cluster, so I can’t offer much help as we won’t have backend access to it.

btw: couldn’t we make this topic sticky… or at least the announcement that there ARE said (and most valued) demo-instances?

Your wish is my command :wink:

1 Like

@JasonBayton

my dear old boy, so sorry to let you know that i just broke your nc12 -demo. tried to do an update to 12.0.3. and it went smoothly until the webupdater stalled at this point “oauth2: Failed to enable app oauth2”

sorry to cause you more work now :frowning:

Hey it’s fine - still works. I’ll sort it later :slight_smile:

Nextcloud 13 beta has been added to the list of servers!

Nextcloud 13 beta

4 Likes

Jason

Just wanted to say this is great work setting NextCloud up in LXD. I wanted to let you know that I put a link to this on the LXD sub-reddit so others could find it.

Thanks again for your effort.

Brian