DDNS to Nextcloud server not working after multiple attempts

RPis are a new thing for me, as is using a terminal in general. I don’t have a code background, so I’m learning as I go, and relying heavily on tutorials (mostly from raspberrytips, pimylifeup, and tomshardware) and googlefu. As I shared in an earlier post, I had NC set up on another RPi running Buster, and it was working great. And then I tried to install a Collabora CODE server, and that screwed the whole thing up. I made multiple attempts to get a CODE server to work (on the same RPi), and was never successful. Then I saw a tutorial from linuxbabe claiming you could do it on an RPi running ubuntu, so I figured I’d give that a try. Unfortunately, last night I discovered (after getting everything else set up and running well) that apparently the loolwsd package her approach uses can’t be loaded on a 64-bit platform? So now I’m back where I started, and thinking I should try setting up the CODE server on a second Pi, as that sounds like it might be easier? Even then, it sounds like I’ll have to use Docker, since my second Pi is also a 64-bit.

But to specifically answer your question, I didn’t even know NextcloudPi was a thing. If I start over using NCPi, will I have better success installing a Collabora CODE server?

I have installed nextcloudpi on a raspberry pi4 4gig that runns the beta 64bit raspberry os installed using the curl installer and installed built in CODE server (arm64) which works well for me so far.

Same should work under Ubuntu if it is a 64bit version. Only hastle was to install it from cli as there comes a timeout if you try to do so from inside nextcloud store due to some php limitations. This however is discribed in the apps discription and should also work for you.

The main advantage of ncp are the many built in tools like dnsmasq automatic backups and snapshot management dyndns services and what not together with curated automatic updates of nextcloud that make the system nearly hastle free even for beginners. However, you learn way more (sometimes unfortunately the hard way) if you set up everything by yourself…

Installed NCP on a fresh install of RPi Lite with a XFCE desktop. I’m really pleased with it so far, although I did have a hiccup when moving the /data folder location. Lesson learned… don’t move the folder via terminal command, and then do it again using the NCP admin panel. Not exactly sure what conflict it created, but the result was it crashed the server. Anyway, NCP is a great tool. Thanks for turning me onto it!

Although I am glad to have learned how to install NC the regular way. Having to do it multiple times after encountering various issues and challenges along the way was a good learning experience, and helps me understand a little better what’s going on behind the scenes with the NCP admin panel.

And Collabora and the CODE server are working! This was my primary goal, so super happy about that.

1 Like

always glad to produce happy dancers :wink:

1 Like