Current state of Android Syncing? (May 2018)

I tried getting my NextCloud installation syncing with an Android device last November, but had to give up after finding that file syncing wasn’t yet enabled (or was somewhat limited).

It looks like Android syncing has come a long way in the last few months. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find an up-to-date overview of what’s working and what’s not. I’d really like to move my data to NextCloud if at all possible, but I can’t do that without solid Android syncing.

Thanks so much.

This might help? https://github.com/nextcloud/android/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

What functionality specifically are you looking for?

Thanks guys. After going over that changelog I can see that my question should really have been more specific.

Specifically, I’m looking for the ability to sync changes that were made offline. While it would be great if this could happen automatically on connect, I’d be happy to manually trigger the sync as well.

As a practical example, I currently rely quite heavily on KeePass to manage passwords. If my database resides exclusively in the cloud, my understanding is that I don’t have access to my passwords when offline (or if I do have access to this database, that changes made to the file while offline will be lost) . I’m curious as to if there’s a solution to this yet.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

If you mark the file as “Keep available offline” it should do that. If not, it’s a bug.

Let me know if that works!

KeePass supports Database sync too:
https://keepass.info/help/kb/trigger_examples.html#dbsync

OK - sounds like it’s time for me to give this another shot!

It’ll take me a while, but I’ll report back with my results as soon as I’ve got time to give this a spin.

Thanks again for your answers - & since I’ve got a dev here - especially for all your hard work on the Android app.

1 Like

So I was finally able to get everything set up and give this another shot. I can’t believe how far the Android client’s come in the last few months. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such fast development.

“Keep available offline” works just as you said it would.

I still have alot to play around with - I haven’t found out how (If?) I can keep the content of a folder available offline yet, and still have to find out exactly what triggers a sync of files that were changed while offline after a connection is established - but I didn’t want to wait too long to reply.

Thanks so much for all your hard work!

You guys rock!

Maybe Keepass2Android is a good choice for handling Keepass2 files. It supports Nextcloud as well and allows local caching of the *.kbdx files for offline use.

1 Like