CSE fumble - it's my fault but please help me

I have my passwords stored in the passwords app. Recently, I switched to CSE (exported the DB, switched, tested the mobile clients, found everything working, deleted the export) and was happy.

However, yesterday, I updated my apps and by mistake deactivated the End-to-End encryption app. Since then, my passwords won’t load, won’t search and won’t export… Yes, I re-activated the End-to-End extension but I fear, the encryption key was lost.

Is there a way to get my passwords back?

A call of occ passwords lists a set of server-side backups, but I’m unsure if restoring would make things better or worse. (There is a block of backups that are smaller and I think that were made before I encrypted the DB. Maybe one of these?)

Now and I’m hoping for some advice from someone who knows things better than me… please?

It’s surprising that the e2e-app has any influence on the passwords app. The passwords app does not actively use anything from that app. Can you check the Nextcloud logs if anything is logged related to the passwords app?

Checking…

in-app live logging: (admin settings in the web interface)

• when I enter my master password: no log entry
  • when the folders are displayed: no log entry (they are there)
  • when I click on a folder and its passwords are supposed to show up but don’t: log entry “Exception Pageres not found or not accessible” appears after a few seconds (details below) for every view I tried to open
  • fun fact: the “favorites” view still seems to work

error dump for the exception:

[passwords] Fatal: Exception: Pageres not found or not accessible at <<closure>>

0. /var/www/html/custom_apps/passwords/lib/Helper/Preview/PageresCliHelper.php line 42
    OCA\Passwords\Helper\Preview\PageresCliHelper->getPageresBinary()
 1. /var/www/html/custom_apps/passwords/lib/Helper/Preview/AbstractPreviewHelper.php line 99
    OCA\Passwords\Helper\Preview\PageresCliHelper->getPreviewData("www.amazon.com", "desktop")
 2. /var/www/html/custom_apps/passwords/lib/Services/WebsitePreviewService.php line 127
    OCA\Passwords\Helper\Preview\AbstractPreviewHelper->getPreview("www.amazon.com", "desktop")
 3. /var/www/html/custom_apps/passwords/lib/Services/WebsitePreviewService.php line 103
    OCA\Passwords\Services\WebsitePreviewService->getWebsitePreview("www.amazon.com", "desktop", "pageres_www.ama ... g", 640, 360, 640, 0)
 4. /var/www/html/custom_apps/passwords/lib/Controller/Api/ServiceApiController.php line 207
    OCA\Passwords\Services\WebsitePreviewService->getPreview("www.amazon.com", "desktop", 640, 360, 640, 0)
 5. /var/www/html/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 169
    OCA\Passwords\Controller\Api\ServiceApiController->getPreview("www.amazon.com", "desktop", "640", "360...")
 6. /var/www/html/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 100
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(OCA\Passwords\Co ... {}, "getPreview")
 7. /var/www/html/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php line 152
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(OCA\Passwords\Co ... {}, "getPreview")
 8. /var/www/html/lib/private/Route/Router.php line 309
    OC\AppFramework\App::main("ServiceApiController", "getPreview", OC\AppFramework\ ... {}, {domain: "www.am ... "})
 9. /var/www/html/lib/base.php line 1008
    OC\Route\Router->match("/apps/passwords ... .")
10. /var/www/html/index.php line 37
    OC::handleRequest()

GET /index.php/apps/passwords/api/1.0/service/preview/www.amazon.com/desktop/640/360...
from xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx by bernhard at 2021-02-20T13:46:38+00:00

recent stuff

• the PHP Component throws “Error Undefined offset: 0 at SocialApiService” followed by a core error “Call to member function supportsContact() on null” which does not seem related to me

Older stuff:

• From a few days ago there are several “Authorized session required” errors mixed with “Attempt to access expired or nonexistent session” warnings.
  • Between these are more exception “Pageres not found or not accessible” errors which seem to have started to become more frequent on 2021-02-13 (I think that’s when I switched on end2end encryption)
  • There is another fatal error from that time frame (actually at its start): “OCP\Files\NotPermittedException: could not create folder”
  • The “Pageres not found” errors are less frequent but go back to before the upgrade from 20.0.6.1 to 20.0.7.1

Anything more useful I can provide?
… and thank you for looking into my issue!

Update:

• I understand that the pageres error is probably a coincidence and has nothing to do with it.
  • I turned off pageres and website icons in the settings. The issue is still there and now the “please wait” circle keeps on spinning forever without a log entry…

Export fails with “incomplete input” and no logging output either.

A call of occ maintenance:repair said it would fix 1 password revision, but that didn’t solve the issue either.

Any ideas?

Probably yes. Pageres is only used for the website preview in the password details. It shouldn’t have any effect on the rest of the app.

You can check the browser console (press F12 and open the console tab) for any additional errors that might happen in the client. You can also check the network tab and see if any requests fail.

Bu you can also just create a new cli backup with the passwords app and then restore the last backup from before the issue started.

Okay, restoring did the job… and I had to go back to before I encrypted the data.

Any idea what happened?

In any case, I exported the database, will wipe and encrypt and the re-import from json.

Thanks for the support (aka holding my hand)! :slight_smile: