Cron.php: Call to a member function getUserFolder() on null

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 16.0.8
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): NixOS 19.09
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Nginx 1.16.1
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3.13

The issue you are facing:
According to web interface the cronjob is not running for a couple of hours.
Logs by systemd shows that it is started every 10 minutes but has errors (see below).
This started when I was still on 16.0.7, I then updated to 16.0.8 with no change.
From the timing I believe that the desktop client was syncing files when the error started. Synchronization has finished in the mean time. Apart from the cron issue, everything seems to be fine.

I want to fix this error, so the cron job is running again.

Feb 01 22:16:51 myserver systemd[1]: Starting nextcloud-cron.service...
Feb 01 22:16:51 myserver Nextcloud[3437]: {PHP} Undefined property: OCA\Maps\BackgroundJob\UpdatePhotoByFileJob::$root at /srv/xxx//store-apps/maps/lib/BackgroundJob/UpdatePhotoByFileJob.php#43
Feb 01 22:16:51 myserver Nextcloud[3437]: {cron} {"Exception":"Error","Message":"Call to a member function getUserFolder() on null","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"\/nix\/store\/65qfqw4wwda1vim59l22c7vmawi1dkdm-nextcloud-16.0.7\/lib\/public\/BackgroundJob\/Job.php","line":77,"function":"run","class":"OCA\\Maps\\BackgroundJob\\UpdatePhotoByFileJob","type":"->","args":[{"fileId":126863,"userId":"xxx"}]},{"file":"\/nix\/store\/65qfqw4wwda1vim59l22c7vmawi1dkdm-nextcloud-16.0.7\/lib\/public\/BackgroundJob\/QueuedJob.php","line":46,"function":"execute","class":"OCP\\BackgroundJob\\Job","type":"->","args":[{"__class__":"OC\\BackgroundJob\\JobList"},{"__class__":"OC\\Log"}]},{"file":"\/nix\/store\/65qfqw4wwda1vim59l22c7vmawi1dkdm-nextcloud-16.0.7\/cron.php","line":123,"function":"execute","class":"OCP\\BackgroundJob\\QueuedJob","type":"->","args":[{"__class__":"OC\\BackgroundJob\\JobList"},{"__class__":"OC\\Log"}]}],"File":"\/srv\/xxx\/store-apps\/maps\/lib\/BackgroundJob\/UpdatePhotoByFileJob.php","Line":43,"CustomMessage":"--"}
Feb 01 22:16:51 myserver systemd[1]: nextcloud-cron.service: Succeeded.
Feb 01 22:16:51 myserver systemd[1]: Started nextcloud-cron.service.
Feb 01 22:26:53 myserver systemd[1]: Starting nextcloud-cron.service...
Feb 01 22:26:53 myserver Nextcloud[5007]: {PHP} Undefined property: OCA\Maps\BackgroundJob\UpdatePhotoByFileJob::$root at /srv/xxx//store-apps/maps/lib/BackgroundJob/UpdatePhotoByFileJob.php#43
Feb 01 22:26:53 myserver Nextcloud[5007]: {cron} {"Exception":"Error","Message":"Call to a member function getUserFolder() on null","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"\/nix\/store\/3dvvw2zsazdh0y9rby01aibpjdz2adfj-nextcloud-16.0.8\/lib\/public\/BackgroundJob\/Job.php","line":77,"function":"run","class":"OCA\\Maps\\BackgroundJob\\UpdatePhotoByFileJob","type":"->","args":[{"fileId":126864,"userId":"xxx"}]},{"file":"\/nix\/store\/3dvvw2zsazdh0y9rby01aibpjdz2adfj-nextcloud-16.0.8\/lib\/public\/BackgroundJob\/QueuedJob.php","line":46,"function":"execute","class":"OCP\\BackgroundJob\\Job","type":"->","args":[{"__class__":"OC\\BackgroundJob\\JobList"},{"__class__":"OC\\Log"}]},{"file":"\/nix\/store\/3dvvw2zsazdh0y9rby01aibpjdz2adfj-nextcloud-16.0.8\/cron.php","line":123,"function":"execute","class":"OCP\\BackgroundJob\\QueuedJob","type":"->","args":[{"__class__":"OC\\BackgroundJob\\JobList"},{"__class__":"OC\\Log"}]}],"File":"\/srv\/xxx\/store-apps\/maps\/lib\/BackgroundJob\/UpdatePhotoByFileJob.php","Line":43,"CustomMessage":"--"}
Feb 01 22:26:53 myserver systemd[1]: nextcloud-cron.service: Succeeded.
Feb 01 22:26:53 myserver systemd[1]: Started nextcloud-cron.service.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Today is the first time, the error repeats on every cron run since a couple of hours.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Unknown step
  2. Rerun the cron job.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Log is empty, everything appears to be fine (translated from german)

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'apps_paths' =>
  array (
    0 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/srv/xxx/apps',
      'url' => '/apps',
      'writable' => false,
    ),
    1 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/srv/xxx/store-apps',
      'url' => '/store-apps',
      'writable' => true,
    ),
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/srv/xxx/data',
  'skeletondirectory' => '',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'log_type' => 'syslog',
  'log_level' => '2',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbuser' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbtype' => 'sqlite',
  'passwordsalt' => 'xxx',
  'secret' => 'xxx',
  'version' => '16.0.8.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://localhost',
  'installed' => true,
  'instanceid' => 'xxx',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'sendmail',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'pipe',
  'mail_from_address' => 'nextcloud',
  'mail_domain' => 'xxx',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => 'xxx',
  ),
  'updater.secret' => 'xxx',
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:
I don’t think it’s relevant for cron, I’ll provide it if relevant.

I’m seeing the same issue with v17.0.3 - when I went to update from v17.0.2 I saw the warning but hoped may the update would resolve it, but it still happens. The log file shows:

[cron] Error: Error: Call to a member function getUserFolder() on null at <<closure>>

0. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/public/BackgroundJob/Job.php line 77
   OCA\Maps\BackgroundJob\UpdatePhotoByFileJob->run({fileId: 60679,userId: "ferd"})
1. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/public/BackgroundJob/QueuedJob.php line 46
   OCP\BackgroundJob\Job->execute(OC\BackgroundJob\JobList {}, OC\Log {})
2. /var/www/html/nextcloud/cron.php line 124
   OCP\BackgroundJob\QueuedJob->execute(OC\BackgroundJob\JobList {}, OC\Log {})

at 2020-02-02T12:35:01+00:00

I also see just before a log entry:

[PHP] Error: Undefined property: OCA\Maps\BackgroundJob\UpdatePhotoByFileJob::$root at /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/maps/lib/BackgroundJob/UpdatePhotoByFileJob.php#43

at 2020-02-02T12:35:01+00:00

Did some digging, do you have the “Maps” app installed? It causes this issue at the moment, so just disabling will sort it - the next cron will run just a little longer than normal as it catches up.

A fix for Maps is in test and will be out soon.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve got maps installed. Good to know that a fix is being tested, thanks!

Same problem as OP thanks for digging in, disabling for now.

1 Like

Same problem for me too, I think it broke when I updated to 17.0.3.
Disabling the Maps app solved the problem for me too.

2 Likes

I’ve disabled my maps app too, monitoring now.

The error no longer there after disabled maps.

This bug has been fixed with maps version 0.1.5.

I’m running Nextcloud 17.0.3 on Ubuntu 18.04.
Same errors and once maps was updated to 0.1.5, the issue went away.