Create User without effect

I have installed nextcloud 11.0.3 with Nginx and PHP7 on Debian 9.0. It comes up and I have admin access. However, if I try to create a new user nothing seems to happen despite random messages that I have to confirm my admin password.

In logging is see nothing. In Nginxā€™ error.log I see ā€œaccess forbidden by ruleā€ messages like ā€œGET /data/.ocdata?t=1493581737560 HTTP/1.1ā€. Thereā€™s actually a deny rule for /data, which I picked up in some installation howto. The file itself is empty and the message not specific to user creation.

I first chose to ignore the issue, since I wanted to use the OC_Users_SMB backend. But the behavior did not change after I tried to switch to SMB. I installed php-smbclient, and put:

'user_backends' => array (
  0 => array (
    'class'     => 'OC_User_SMB',
    'arguments' => array (
      0 => 'smb.mydomain.example.com'
    ),
  ),
),

into $CONFIG. This neither changed the behavior in any way.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m definitely mssing something obvious and big, but I cannot see it.

Thanks for your help,

• lars.

Have the same issue here with a very similar setup.

This is the errors I get from the browser side:

jquery-migrate.min.js:2 JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.0
js.js:1070 Missing argument $row in OC.Notification.hide() call, caller needs to be adjusted to only dismiss its own notification
hide @ js.js:1070
js.js:1070 Missing argument $row in OC.Notification.hide() call, caller needs to be adjusted to only dismiss its own notification
users/users Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()
users.js:953 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ā€˜messageā€™ of undefined
at Object. (users.js:953)
at j (jquery.min.js:2)
at Object.fireWith [as rejectWith] (jquery.min.js:2)
at x (jquery.min.js:4)
at XMLHttpRequest. (jquery.min.js:4)

Iā€™m not seeing anything in my error.log

Just tested another 11.0.3 install - that one is running Apache instead of Nginx, that one seems to be ok creating users.

On my nginx setup I have encryption enabled, do you by chance?

by chance, do you have password enforcement things on? I do and was missing a special character. Iā€™m able to create users now meeting all the requirements. If seems there is no feedback for this.

Gee, it actually was the password rules. I had expected some message, if the password is deemed bad - but just nothing!?

Well, and If I use a SMB backend, shouldnā€™t the backend care for the policy? It seems thereā€™s a steep learning curve ahead for me ā€¦

Thanks for this hint.

1 Like