"Could not connect to the appstore ..." after NC upgrade from 16.0.10 to 17.0.6

After updating from Nextcloud 16.0 to 17.0 the connection with the appstore fails. On the Security & setup warnings page under Version I see:
“Could not connect to the appstore or …”

Nextcloud version : 16.0.10
Operating system and version : Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Apache or nginx version : Apache 2.4.29-1ubuntu4.13 amd64
PHP version : PHP Version 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.4

The issue you are facing: Not able to update or select APPS matching the new Nextcloud version because there is no connection to appstore

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. Starting of with a working Nextcloud 16.0

2. Check under breadcrumb User Icon / +App and see categories in appstore, after the 4 options :

• Your apps
  • Active apps
  • Disabled apps
  • App Bundles
    Then above “Developer documentation /” you see appstore catefories like:
  • Customization
  • Files
  • Games
    etc.
  1. Open Updater under breadcrumb : User Icon / Settings / Administration / Overview , under Version

2. Follow instructions to update to version 17.0

3. Check under breadcrumb User Icon / +App and see the 4 standard categories:

• Your apps
  • Active apps
  • Disabled apps
  • App Bundles
    Followed by “Developer documentation /”.

But the appstore categories are missing. No categories like:

• Customization
  • Files
  • Games
    etc.

What hints shoud look for in the output of my Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging ??

No changes made in my config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud since 2015!

What hints should I look for in the output of my Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____ ??

Can your nextcloud on the console direct contact the appstore with “wget https://…” ?

Hi devnull,

Using wget (CLI on Server) should work fine. No changes made that would influence that. Or …?

Didn’t test explicitly because restoring to Nextcloud 16.0 involves fetching Nextcloud 16, reinstall, restoring database and data. Quiet a lot of work. But if it has to be checked I will do so. Any other “tests” I could do?

Just tried “sudo -u www-data wget https://apps.nextcloud.com” in the Nextcloud Apps directory. The result is a HTTP 200 and a downloaded “index.html”. Hence permissions and connectivity are OK…

Can you perhaps post screenshots?

I might have found the solution to my own problem. By creating a completely new NC17 instance and copying database and data directory BUT NOT the config.php file. Just made all changes to the config.php manually.