[Enhancement] Contacts: telephone numbers with user-defined labels (like in Android)

I am using Nextcloud 14.0.4 with NCP, and Contacts app version 2.1.8. I am syncing the contacts via DAVdroid with several Android phones having Android 6 and 8.

In the Contacts app I have several entries, where I enter the credentials of a family and not of a single person. Accordingly, I want to enter several mobile numbers for the members of a family. In the web interface of the Contacts app I realize this by entering the numbers as follows:

• Mobile: +43 234 5678 1234 (John)
  • Mobile: +43 235 1234 5678 (Mary)

This works well, and the entries are synchronized with my Android phones, and show up exactly like in the Nextcloud web interface in my Google contacts app on my phones.

Now comes the catch: When I open the Google contacts app on my Android phone, and call a phone number formatted like shown above, it interprets the name in brackets as numbers, i.e. (John) becomes 5646! The call consequently fails, because the number, appended by the extra digits, is incorrect.

On Android 6 and 8 the contact entry of a telephone number can have the label userdefined. This allows a self written label for the telephone number. So I changed the above entries in my Android phone to:

• Mobile John: +43 234 5678 1234
  • Mobile Mary: +43 235 1234 5678

where the labels were written specifically. This solved the problem of calling the phone numbers. But now, these entries - after being synchronized by DAVdroid showed the label MOBILE JOHN and MOBILE MARY in the Nextcloud web interface! And they could not be edited in the Nextcloud web interface.

Here now my questions:

1. Does the Contacts app in Nextcloud allow user-defined labels for telephone number entries?
  2. Is there a way, that user-defined labels as entered in the Google contacts app in Android can be edited in the Nextcloud web interface?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best regards
LittleAlf

With 2 months late :wink:

1. 3.0.3 is supporting the display of user-defined labels
  2. but currently not possible to edit: see existing issue Support X-ABLabel and ITEM2.xxx properties 路 Issue #42 路 nextcloud/contacts 路 GitHub and Ability to have custom labels 路 Issue #27 路 nextcloud/contacts 路 GitHub (two different methods)

Dear skjnldsv,

thanks for your reply. Is there a possible date, when this issue might be addressed?

Not a priority yet (unfortunately), so no ETA. :confused:
If you want to support it, you can add a bounty here https://www.bountysource.com/issues/39758388-ability-to-have-custom-labels or here https://www.bountysource.com/issues/39584232-support-x-ablabel-and-item2-xxx-properties :slight_smile: