Contacts app: how to export one contact group

Hello all,

I just made my migration from OC to NC. Too bad it had to come to this, but on the otherhand, the competition might accelerate rather than slow down the development of this great product.
What pushed me over was the move from the mail app to NC. Having mail, calendar and contacts integrated is a must have feature for me.

Which brings me to my point. In the old contact app, I was used to being able to download a group of contacts. I use this for my Christmas card distribution-list and phone number booklet (oldfasion, no:-). But I can not find how to do this any more. Is this feature hidden, or is it simply not implemented yet?

A second, less urgent request: is it possible to change the name of a group? Other than download the whole address book, edit it in a text editor and upload it again?

Thirdly even less urgent, I have about 300 addresses in my contact list. More than average maybe, but not exorbitant, I would say. Loading the contacts page takes very long. It would be great if some smart caching or on-demand loading could be introduced to speed up the responsiveness.

Kind regards,

Bert Haverkamp

For OC 9.0 or newer or all NC version, there is a completely new contact app, for which all features for OC <9.0 have to be re-implemented. Currently there is no independent development of the contact app by nextcloud, so you need to use the owncloud repository: https://github.com/owncloud/contacts/issues. You will already find a lot of feature request there (and bug reports).

Hello all,

I noticed a contact repository for nextcloud. Does this mean the app has been forked or moved as the others?
If so, should I create a new bug report for the above missing feature of exporting single contact-groups?
Or have all bug reports/issues been taken over as well. I quickly browsed the issue list, but isn’t in there
(https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts/issues)

Regards,

Bert

Quick addtion, I can not add a “contacts” tag to this thread, so it still references “apps” in general.
Can one of the admins create a new tag for the contacts app?

Regards,

It seems that they have forked the contact app for nextcloud. So feature requests, bug reports etc. should go there.

Please post a new thread in the meta section, such remarks within a thread won’t be noticed.

I’m also new to Nextcloud and ran into this issue today while migrating the wifey’s contacts, so I thought I’d share a workaround that you can use until the feature gets added to the app. Just go to the Contacts app, select Settings, and click Show URL. Copy that URL, paste it into a new browser tab, add ?export to the end of the URL, and click enter/go. The URL should look like this:

https://[YourNextCloudURL]/remote.php/dav/addressbooks/users/[YourUsername]/[YourAddressbook]?export

It will download a VCF of the full address book specified in the URL. This is clearly too late for Christmas, but maybe you could send some New Year’s cards. :wink:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply and tip. Indeed too late for the Christmas cards of 2016😣.

But doesnt this export one complete addresbook?
The problem Im having is that I marked some addresses in my Addressbook as Christmascard others as phonebook, etc. This is with groups. I ciuld download single groups(or CATEGORIES in Vcard lingo). But not anymore.

The workaround I use now is like you suggested. Download the complete contact list. I created a php script to filter on the category field and even set the label field correctly.

My apologies. I overlooked that you were using categories on the contacts for this and thought you meant they were in a separate address book.

Hello all,

About a year later, and again the same issue. A lot has improved in nextcloud contacts. But is this still in the cards? Or is it already there and am I overlooking something?

Kind regards,

Bert