Comparison of Collabora on the built-in and own server

In Collabora Online 3.7.0, it was stated that CODE would be prepared as an NC application.

I have CODE installed on my server, but when I compare it to the NC app version, which is better?

Iโ€™m not aware of a built-in collabora within nextcloud. There is only an app which manages the integration of a stand alone collabora server into the nextcloud environment / other apps e.g files A similar built-in solution has been provided (since NC 18) by OnlyOffice which supports Microsoft file formats .

regards
Gregor

It is described in the description within the Collabora Online 3.7.0 (NC) app. Itโ€™s not on the App Store yet, but perhaps an app like OnlyOffice will be released in the future.

There is indeed a new radio button in the settings of the Collabora - App
Use built-in CODE :slight_smile: and directly below an additional information -> *This installation does not have a built in server. [Install it from the app store.]
Unfortunately I cannot find it on the store. Regardless of that, It will be probably not possible to run the external CODE-Server and the internal one in parallel.

I donโ€™t think there is an NC app version of CODE at this time. It seems to me that I am missing the point.

The advantages of running CODE as a NC application, and the advantages of running CODE on your own server. What will each have?

Built in code app exists on nextcloud 19 only. I can see it on my nextcloud 19 test server in the app store

One advantage of a separate, own server is the flexibility you have to use it outside of NC also. Probably is a separately operated server better scalable then a built-in one. The built-in one coulb have some advantages in terms of integration with NC and - for many people probably quite important - no installation effort for a separate server. If this advantages are interesting for your particular use cases is an another question :slight_smile:
To be able to compare the functionalities of both of the versions we will probably have to wait a little bit and - when the built-in version is available - install it and have a deeper look inside .

1 Like