Collabora Online still experimental?

Is Collabora Online with Nextcloud 11 still experimental or is it production ready?

CODE (Collabora Online Development Edition) is what we provide as an Docker-image for testing and home-users. It is not meant to used in production environments, as enterprises or any larger cases. It is free, comes without any support (…excluded the one you will receive here in our awesome community) :wink:

It was released as 2.0 in November 2016, so it should be stable, and not experimental … however:

If you want to use Collabora Online for your enterprise or for an environment you really need to rely on - you should consider about contacting the sales team of Nextcloud GmbH - as they are providing Collabora Online with enterprise support as optional part of their subscriptions :wink:

This badge is about the app (the integration into Nextcloud) and not about Collabora Online / CODE itself. So the app itself reaches the requirements for the “Official”-rating (developed inside of Nextcloud, audit, …) - but you need to distinguish between the app, which is integrating Collabora Online / CODE into Nextcloud - and the Collabora Online Server - which we are mainly talking about. But I need to agree that this may be misunderstood :grin:

Greetings

Marius

Thanks Marius for your detailed explanation. So the take away message for me here is that the Collabora-App from Nextcloud is now production ready but the Collabora Online Server (the docker image available as “collabora/code”) is still in development and not entirely production ready yet, hence its name “Collabora Online Development Edition (CODE)”.

Another question, you mention here CODE version 2.0 but I checked the “About” page in the “Help” menu of Office and I see the following:

This version of Collabora Online Development Edition (CODE) is powered by

LOOLWSD

LOKit
    Collabora Office 5.1-12 (git hash: 653cc4c)

So I assume here that I am using version 1.9.8, how can I get version 2.0?

I tried a “docker pull collabora/code” on my docker server but it says my image is already up to date:

Greetings
J.

[quote=“hostingnuggets, post:4, topic:7000”][quote=“hostingnuggets, post:4, topic:7000”]
So the take away message for me here is that the Collabora-App from Nextcloud is now production ready but the Collabora Online Server (the docker image available as “collabora/code”) is still in development and not entirely production ready yet, hence its name “Collabora Online Development Edition (CODE)”.
[/quote]

CODE will ever be CODE. The Development Edition is never meant to be finished. If you want something production-ready - you will need to go the Enterprise support way :wink: … in general: Also the Nextcloud server is still in development - and you will find bugs - otherwise - we would not release new versions and maintenance releases :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Same applies to CODE :wink: … Its more a question about support - then a question about stability :grin:

Please follow our upgrade guide to get the newest version of CODE :wink: … but this seems to be that - what you have described above - so I think - you are already running the newest version :muscle:

Greetings

Marius

1 Like

Marius, a big thank you for your fast reply. Now everything is clear.

By the way, do you know when the Documents-App will be available again in the Nextcloud App-Store of version 11? Some people would still like to use the Documents-App and not Collabora-Online.

I think there are currently no efforts in bringing the old documents app into Nextcloud … the development seemed to have no priority on both sides (if I look into the GitHub activity of Documents in OwnCloud-organization) … However: It should be compatible with Nextcloud 11 - because they are attesting compatibility with ownCloud 9.2 :grin:

You could try to manually download it from the repository - and then upload it into your /apps/-directory :wink: You just need to adjust the following line in the appinfo/info.xml:

<dependencies>
	<owncloud min-version="9.1" max-version="9.2" />
</dependencies>

with

<dependencies>
	<nextcloud min-version="11" max-version="11" />
</dependencies> 

Then, it may work. I have not tested it - but I would be great if you could report back :slight_smile:
Keep in mind, that this workaround is unsupported, experimental - and could break at any time :sweat_smile:

Greetings

Marius

Hi Marius,

Finally got time to try your suggestion. So I got to enable the Documents app from the Apps “store” but then when I try to open the App itself it does nothing else then displaying “Loading documents…”. Opening an ODT file directly from the Files-App does just displays it and does not load the Documents app. So I guess this simply does not work…

J.