Collabora install

Hello all,

I’m thinking about getting Collabora online on my Nextcloud home server as replacement of gdocs.

My questions are:

• is it only being able to be installed using docker?
  • Is that the best practice to use docker vs something else?
  • Will 16gb on ram be enough for about 20-30 users?

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards!

is it only being able to be installed using docker?

No. Have a look at Setting up and configuring native CODE packages on Linux - Collabora Office and Collabora Online

Is that the best practice to use docker vs something else?

Don’t know. I hate docker for example. :slight_smile:

Will 16gb on ram be enough for about 20-30 users?

Sure. Depends on your actual usage, but sure.

1 Like

religious question. of course docker is the only way to go. :wink:

you could also ask: collabora or onlyoffice.

if you want to test and have a testserver somewhere. → ReinerNippes · GitHub
nevertheless both playbooks use docker and both need letsencrypt certs to work. right now i’m not sure about the “docker only” version. that one may work with selfsigned certs.

@himbeere to write a docker-free-playbook is still on my list. :slight_smile: to be release soon…

1 Like

@himbeere to write a docker-free-playbook is still on my list. :slight_smile: to be release soon…

You know, docker is fine to me actually but lately there seems to be nothing left than docker and kubernetes. :slight_smile:

Its depends on your personal goal. I am everyday exited about the ability to run Libreoffice on my android devices or browser everywhere since i have it integrated in my nextcloud environment.

what would be the benefit of having docker?

grafik
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=benefit+of+docker+containers

Except that docker still don’t support cgroups v2 after 3 years … I can’t use it :frowning:

I’m just curious – what would be your docker host?

Usually nextcloud docker is placed behind a reverse proxy that does all the certificate management. I tried for a long time to import the lets encrypt certs within docker, but I couldn’t make it work (probably because the use of using a proxy between the internet and the docker host constitutes a man-in-the-middle).

I also tried the linux packages recently – and although I was able to have these work several years ago, I couldn’t make them work in the last 3-4 months.

I really have no idea how docker performs with many simaltaneous users. My biggest bottle neck is the networking speed. I curious how it would run from the cloud.

so, my setup is a dedicated server for Nextcloud at home that can be reached out from outside.

id like to install Collabora online to be able to edit/create documents on the web browser without having to pay for a suite.

but, questions have come if it would be good to have a Docker for collabora or just install it directly on the server as i already have the SSL cerificate up and running.

Regards!

What kind of server are you running?

If linux – you could run nextcloud with collabora linux packages on same machine, or nextcloud with docker/collobora on same machine as well. Both your nextcloud and collabora will probably use either ngnix or apache as the reverse proxy, so you don’t really need to worry about cert management beyond your web server if everything is being run on the same machine. If your nextcloud is at home, unless you have a very fast upload connection, it might be OK for yourself but for 20-30 people it would be too slow unless you have some superfast connection to your house

im running Ubuntu server 18.04 on a LAMP.

i was asking for having at the most 10 people using it and probably half concurrent.

Ok great. You’d be good with either option. 2-3 months ago I could only get docker to work and not the linux packages. Not sure why.

thats good to know… im still a bit new on the docker stuff and was wondering if it would be a good idea to start using it or have it installed locally.

another question would be speed performance on Docker vs locally.

You install the docker daemon on the local computer and then install the docker image inside of it — meaning everything is installed locally.

No idea about the speed. I would guess the native packages would be faster but I have no evidence to back that up.

it would be good to find out how the server performance is when using docker vs when not.