Client sync created a duplicated set files and some files not uploaded automatically

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 18.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Docker desktop (2.2.0.5) under Windows 10
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.38
PHP version (eg, 7.1):7.3.17

The issue you are facing:
I’m new to nextcloud. I just installed it few days ago and trying its features. I installed the android client in my mobile and enabled “Auto Upload” to the “Photos” folder of my mobile and corresponding folder-“InstantUpload\Photos” was created in my NextCloud server. However, I encountered the following 2 issues:

1. I tried to copy a photo from another folder in mobile to “Photos” folder, the copied photo not uploaded to “InstantUpload\Photos” folder.

2. So I click the “Sync” action under “InstantUpload\Photos”, the missing photo still not uploaded but a duplicated set of photos under “InstantUpload\Photos” were created in my mobille under /com.nextcloud.client/nextcloud/user@mydomain/InstantUpload/Photos. I would like to know if it is the designed behavior ? In such behavior, it consumed twice the storage in my mobile for folder “Photos” and this folder has over 50GB in size. It will make my mobile running out of space.
    Actually, I expected the synchronization should build between my mobile folder “Photos” and the server folder “InstantUpload\Photos” only and not sure why NextCloud duplicated a set of those files under its own directory.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. enable Auto Upload for mobile folder
  2. Run Sync action on this “Auto Upload” folder.

Any one can help on this ? Also, any option can disable the sync function ?

I got similar issue with the Android client. Auto upload lists all folders separately:

• Pictures (/Pictures)
  • Instagram (/Pictures/Instagram)
  • Download (/Download)
  • Frost (/Download/Frost)
  • Messenger (/Messenger)

If I have auto upload turned on for Pictures and Instagram, duplicates will be uploaded (one in /InstantUpload/Instagram and other in /InstantUpload/Pictures/Instagram).
Same applies to “Frost”. “Messenger” works fine since it’s not in a folder that already being uploaded.
It should only upload files from the selected directory, not sub-directories unless I chose to. I think it worked like this before.
It is not indicated that if I select “Pictures” to auto upload it will upload “Instagram” too even if I did not turn it on for “Instagram”.

Just noticed that I also have this issue
I configured my InstantUpload to put all pictures from selected folders to one folder on Nextcloud.
Now I have 2 copies of each picture. Also pictures/images from folders that are not selected for upload are being uploaded. This is not how it used to work.