Change Username in the nextcloud admin panel

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.0.9
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Linux 5.4.0-72-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 12 17:35:00 UTC 2021 x86_64
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx/1.18.0 (fpm-fcgi)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4.16

The issue you are facing:

Hello, i have a nexcloud server running for years now. I am trans and i want to change my username. It is the one used for login and in the linux desktop app (idk, why it is not using the display name). I do not want to see my deadname anymore on all of this. How can i change my username (the name used for login and so on)?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. have a name
  2. be trans and chose a new name
  3. trying to change the usernamename in nextcloud

It’s impossible to change the login name by design, only the displayed “long name” can be changed in the personal settings. If you want to change the login name, you need to create a new account, transfer all data to this account as it is described in the administrator guide and delete the old account afterwards.

Lol, I am trans too and just found this handy previous post; how convenient. Fyi, as far as I have been educated by legal experts, it is illegal sexual discrimination (constitutionally illegal at that) under current Federal U.S. and California law for Nextcloud to not allow trans people to easily change their username to match their updated preferred name and pronouns. The current method provided makes it technically possible but places a huge undue burden on trans people that cisgender people would not have to overcome and is also therefore illegal under current U.S. and California law (think separate but equal racial segregation back in the day).

It would be wise of Nextlcoud to update their system to make the supposed “impossible” now possible unless they desire to continue to sit on a ticking time bomb of being sued by the U.S. Govt and California govt for sexual discrimination of transgender people. I find it so silly that entities in this day and age even do something as ridiculous as making a system where usernames are unchangeable and intrinsically tied to account data.

did you know that the US has no saying in the EU and they can sue what they want but we simply don’ t go to the US so it’s useless.

so your trans you take all that effort to look like something you’re not. but creating a new account and trans-fer the data is too much work.

i feel discriminated that I have to adjust myself and treat you differtent because you want to be different.

everyone is atleast discriminated once a day. While some feel it as a heavy burden others don’t even notice it. discrimination is what you make of it.