DISCLAIMER: I don’t work in IT, I don’t know networking, and setup my server thanks to many guides and forums online.
I had a nextcloud server running on docker on a NAS at my home, running for me and some family members. I had to move, and will be without broadband internet for some time, maybe a month or so (I’m now posting via my cellphone carrier plan). My server is still running, and my router still runs ok (albeit without internet) so I can access my NAS completely fine when I’m logged on my local home network. The problem is that I cannot use nextcloud at all, including the important calendar feature, and not only me, but my family members too.
By the way, if I try to browse (from home network) the address
serverip:port corresponding to both http or https ports of nextcloud, I get a
Secure Connection Failed error, with
Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG.
I was hoping to find a way so that all desktop and android clients (including DAVx5 for caldav) can synchronize with the server when connected to my local home network! I dont know if this can be achieved e.g. with a pihole DNS server pointing my domain to the local ip and port of the nextcloud server, but not sure what to do about the SSL certificates…
- A nextcloud server was setup with external access in my home.
- External access setup with help of no-ip, with domain of the sort of [mynextclouddomain.ddns.net].
- All clients are setup to sync with the server via the no-ip domain.
- My home will be without internet access for some time.
- I want to enable the server for local network only.
- The desktop and android clients should sync when connected to the wifi or lan at my home, ideally without needing to change any configuration.
Server setup for external access:
- Router setup with port forward.
- No-ip for ddns.
- Let’s Encrypt for SSL.
- NPM (nginx proxy manager) for reverse proxy.
- Nextcloud (docker stable-apache image)
- Nextcloud Desktop Client (files)
- Nextcloud Android Client (files)
- DAVx5 for Android (calendar & contacts)
Server setup for local access only:
- Router (no internet, local network only)
- nextcloud (docker)
Thank you in advance!