Change photos/instantUpload directory to save pics/vids to an external hard drive directory/path

hi all,

i simply want to be able to change the autoupload directory to point to my external hard drive that is connected to the raspberry pi 3 that i’m running nextcloud 12 on. its kinda dumb to default to instantuploads directory or photos which resides on my microSD which would fill up fast. would rather point this to my 3TB external hard drive. The good news is that I have the nextcloud server up and running fine, and i’ve been using the ios app and done what i could to have it point to photos on the server…but photos I think is on the microSD card…which isnt good.

been looking for this answer, and there is no straight answer that I see, apologies in advance.

has anyone figured this out? this is something that i’ve been looking for a long time, and googled the hell out of this…sounds like this would be a common feature, to be able to auto save photos and videos to a external hard drive directory of choice. Can this be done???

1 Like

This is the template you should have seen when starting a new topic, please fill out these relevant bits:

Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2):
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04):
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 5.6):
Product (eg, Nextcloud Box, Ubuntu server):

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

In your particular instance if you’re using the Nextcloud box the external HDD will be used for storage. If you’re using a Pi with your own installation you could have set the data directory to the external drive during install.

If you need to change your setup you can:

A) Move your data directory entirely
B) Add the external drive as external storage and mount it as a folder in your NC interface

Thanks,

Nextcloud version 12.0.0
Operating system and version Raspian 8 Jessie, raspberryp 4.9.28-v7+ , raspberry pi 3
nginx version 1.6.2-5
PHP version 7.0
Product = not using a nextcloud box, using an external hard drive, western digital into my raspberry pi 3 - binary from nextcloud-12.0.0.tar.bz2

config.php info: (i previously had owncloud on here, and it failed to migrate from 10 to nextcloud 12) i think its using the ownlcloud config.php because the one in /var/www/nextcloud/config/config.php is blank)

pi@raspberrypi:/var/www/nextcloud/config $ sudo cat /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php

<?php $CONFIG = array ( 'instanceid' => 'xxxxx', 'passwordsalt' => 'xxxxxx', 'secret' => 'xxxxxxx', 'trusted_domains' => array ( 0 => '192.168.x.x', 1 => 'my.external.ddns.ip', ), 'datadirectory' => '/media/ownclouddrive', 'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://my.external.ddns.ip', 'dbtype' => 'sqlite3', 'version' => '12.0.0.29', 'logtimezone' => 'UTC', 'installed' => true, 'files_external_allow_create_new_local' => true, 'maintenance' => false, 'theme' => '', 'loglevel' => 2, ); so it appears that i have got things working and pushing, after spending taking a lot of time to figure out that you need to configure a folder on the external hard drive with a matching user name, then it'll populate and sync with the photo folder that appears in the user's home view, in conjunction with configuring the ios app to use that directory. maybe there is an easier way of doing this? or not? thanks in advance.