Change from Debian Package to built-in Updater

Nextcloud version: 15.0.8 (via Jurisic repository)
Operating system: Debian 9 (Stretch)
Apache version: 2.4.25
PHP version: 7.3 (via 3rd party repository)

I’m trying to work out a procedure to switch this server from using the Jurisic Debian package to using the built-in updater for upgrades. I’m thinking the procedure would go something like this:

1. perform backup
  2. remove package
  3. perform manual install via tarball

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Should I manually re-install 15.0.8 before upgrading to 16, or should I go ahead and install 16.0.1?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, in theory this looks good. Make sure to install the stuff at the same location (the data-folder is in some config files and the database). I’d migrate just the same version, if there is a problem, it is much easier to identify. In a second step, I’d upgrade to 16.0.1.

Thanks tflidd!
I finally got around to this last weekend (wanted to wait till after vacation).

The process I actually followed was:

1. Performed a fresh backup (leaving nextcloud in maintenance mode afterward).
  2. Removed the nextcloud-server package (was at version 15.0.10 at this point).
  3. Commented out the Jurisic repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
  4. Restored from the new backup (I only restored the nextcloud directory, I did not restore the data directory).
  5. Reloaded apache, and then performed occ maintenance:repair (the maintenance repair step may be unnecessary).
  6. Disabled maintenance mode and checked operation of the server - for me, everything seemed to be working with no major errors in the log.
  7. After running everything through it’s paces, I updated nextcloud to version 16.0.3 using the command line method (I referenced the online documentation as I had never updated NC in this way).

I think the process went well - the server has been running without issues this week.

Now, to start looking at upgrading to Debian Buster…