Catch 22 - upgrading from version 13 to 14

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 13.0.12
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Asustor NAS; no idea what Linux that is
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): dont know
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 5.6 (or 7.3)

The issue you are facing:

when I start PhP 7.13 on the Asustor, nextcloud doesnt work anymore. It comes with this error:
‘This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 7.2.
You are currently running 7.3.12.’

so to start any update, i have to swittch back to PHP 6.6.

When I start the Update-link on nextcloud settings (download new version), it leads me to a website from netxcloud for updating. But there it only tells me, that an update is not possible because I use PHP5 and it needs PHP7.

how do I get out of this catch 22 ?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): No, this comes all the time.

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

Hello @pgraetz,

please make sure your webserver uses the same version as your command line.
Not sure how you determined your versions.

Hi, thx,
I dont use any commandline. I guess you mean how I determine the PHP Version ? It tells me in the error message what version PHP I have.
That is the only version of PHP that is installable for the Asustore NAS.
The problem seems to be that if I switch PHP 7 on, at the NAS, then Nextcloud 13 doesnt work anymore. It sais it is the wrong PHP version. If I switch PHP 7.2 off at the NAS, then its back to PHP 5.6 and Nextcloud works again.

If I then go to upgrade Nextcloud, it tells me that this doesnt go, because I use a old PHP and I should first upgrade to PHP7.

SO if i understand you correct, I should install PHP 7.0 (or at least a lower version of PHP than 7.2 ?) Is that what u suggest ?

thanks
Peter

Ok, understood your situation. So don’t install 7.0

Instead do a manual update by removing and adding new files. After that change your php version and update.

Does that work for you?