Can't upload files larger than 512 MB

Are you using Apache and Nginx at the same time?

I’m only using nginx

Ahhh, OK. I was confused from the .htaccess. That file is not used by Nginx.

Haha, well I’m wasting my time editing that file then :sweat_smile:

So I realized that my VPN was enabled on my computer and it was slowing the uploads down. I disabled it and was able to upload a 800 MB file. This now makes me think that the previous failures were related to timeouts.

It’s very possible. Care to try a couple more uploads to be sure?

I downloaded a 650 MB file in about 9 minutes. The file showed up in my list of files, but the uploading bar was stuck at 1 second for another 9 minutes. I was looking at the temp file and nothing was changing, so I’m not sure what it was doing for the additional 9 minutes. The same thing happened for a 590 MB file.

I’ve noticed the same delay with large uploads through the web interface, though not for 9 minutes. I believe this is caused by the transfer of the file from the temporary upload, to the final file in data directory. The time to transfer is probably based on the file size compared to the underlying resources.

For testing I created files of size, 1G, 1.5G, 2G, 3G, 4G, and 10G and set them to upload at once using the desktop client. The client sent a notification that the 10G file did not successfully upload, even though it was uploaded successfully. Just a guess, but I think the time to transfer from the temp file to final file took longer than the Nextcloud client expected and that’s why I received the failure notice. This seems similar to one of your earlier errors.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that large file uploads seem sensitive to network drop outs. Testing from my workstation works a lot better than testing from an Android phone. Perhaps your VPN issue is the same.

1 Like