Can't stream video which is in a shared folder

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version : 18.0.0
Operating system and version : Ubuntu 18.04 Server
Docker instance using the official examples (nginx,mariadb,apache)

The issue you are facing:
When you are in a shared folder via a link, and you are not connected to the instance. You can’t stream a video, whereas you can do it if you directly share the video.

Also, this bug wasn’t present on older nextcloud’s version, as you can see on the video showing on the left, Nextcloud 17 and the right, Nextcloud 18

nextcloud

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Having a video in a folder
  2. Share via a link the folder
  3. Try to stream the video with the in-built video player

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Nothing

So as my GIF is broken, here is a youtube link

I can confirm this bug, I just downgraded to 17.0.3 because I couldn’t stream video files in v18.
I think v18 uses video player version 1.7.0 and NC 17.0.3 uses video player 1.6.0.

I think it has something to be related with the new shared API

I am having this issue as well running 18.0.1.

It is only happening on shared folders. If the files are shared directly, they play as they should.

I agree, this feels more like a sharing API issue than a video playback issue.

Is this fixed in newer versions?

Can someone link the bug from github? I’d like to see the progress on this.

I’m on 18.0.3, and it’s working. I use it everyday for the school since the confinement. I have a public folder, shared with a link, with few videos for the other parents, from the teacher. And videos stream normally.

1 Like

The sharing issue was fixed and was working fine in 18.0.3. I then updated to 18.0.4 to get the latest security updates and we are having an identical sharing issue again.

You have to download them. All other features work fine.

Is there an update to the share API? It seems each update to NC brings this issue back.

I spun up another instance of NC on a nearly identical platform. Here is what I am getting in the error logs:

Sabre\DAV\Exception\NotAuthenticated:

/var/www/html/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/ServerFactory.php - line 148:

{closure}("*** sensiti ... *")

<<closure>>

OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\ServerFactory->OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\{closure}("*** sensiti ... *")

/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/EventEmitterTrait.php - line 105:

call_user_func_array(Closure {}, [ "*** sensi ... "])

/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 466:

Sabre\Event\EventEmitter->emit("beforeMethod", [ "*** sensi ... "])

/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 254:

Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod("*** sensiti ... *", "*** sensiti ... *")

/var/www/html/apps/dav/appinfo/v1/publicwebdav.php - line 109:

Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()

/var/www/html/public.php - line 81:

require_once("/var/www/ht ... p")

I also posted this on GitHub and got a response from another user with the issue. They were very helpful and posted a process that fixed the issue for me. Thank you, WalterFilms!