Cant connect to ssh or upload files out of nowhere

ubuntu 16.04 X64 server
Nextcloud 11.01
redis cache
virtual box

alright so I havent touched it for awhile and when I turn it back on yesterday I notice today that I cant get SSH to work. I can login to the machine itself fine. The error I get is that it is refusing connections. The SSH port is the same that I have been using and I checked that. The port is allowed through UFW.

Also its not uploading files. When I take a picture from my phone it says error uploading to server.

The only thing that I can think of is that for some reason the letsencrypt didnt automatically renew. I got that done and could access the site again using the URL. However …its now not letting me access it. Now says again This site can’t be reached and refused to connect. I havent changed anything other than renewing the HTTPS.

So I have tried to disable UFW

tried to disable the firewall on the machine since its windows based

restart the server

Trusted domains are the same.

double checked the ports in the router

since this is hosted on virtual box I cant see all the logs completely and I cant copy them … or I dont know how if its possible.

This is the second time now that the site has broke by not touching it … the first time it just started working after a week or two. It seems that this is so far away from being a reliable uploading service since it literally breaks on its own.

I have no idea whats going on and no idea what to do or look at now to get this working.

UPDATE:

alright so looks like it was up and accessible again … I tried a picture on my phone and it went through fine … then it went down again says it refused connection like before . so I guess the whole issue is that for some reason its going up and down

I believe its related to you VM, i’ve been running it for years now and it keeps working :wink:

Didn’t you find strange that you loose ssh service along with everything else?

Maybe your setup eat up all your memory, or maybe the host (Windows) didn’t allocate enough resources.
Noty sure the specific case, but I bet it’s system related not for Nextcloud.

My hint is that, you can’t access using ssh and maybe Apache(?)/your-webserver is not running.
Check that, trying to restart those services, ssh and apache, share the output.

Cheers!

I was just typing the update as you replied

alright so looks like it was up and accessible again … I tried a picture on my phone and it went through fine … then it went down again says it refused connection like before . so I guess the whole issue is that for some reason its going up and down

I had this going for months fine … then when i dont have it going and then use it … its doing this.

also as its down the VM is up … the server has internet access and is responding fine

but while its up … still cant access SSH

On the admin section check the Logging category maybe it says something about your issue.
You’ll probably find valuable info there.

Cheers.

I looked in there and the only thing in there are a lot of some IP tried using something as host… There doesnt seem to be any errors other than that at all

ANOTHER UPDATE:

alright … so this seems weird … but I seem to be able to get the site back to life for a bit by running apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, even though it doesnt update anything.

I have done this about 5 times and it comes right back up. Really weird. something is going on with this

Yeah i guess it is,
Network, memory, enabled(?) virtualization, disk space, of your host or guest you name it.

I’ll suggest to build another VM, that is rock solid (if that exist on Windows) then migrate.
There are some really affordable providers out there, like this.

Have fun.
Read you tomorrow.

well … like last time … it seems like its working now … again making no changes.

I did however have delete the entire .ssh directory and make it all over again to get the ssh keys working again.

This is real weird how it stops working on its own and starts working on its own … no idea how long this uptime will last … but its working now.

annnnnnd its down again

Your VM has issues. Try a clean one.
(Or a different host)